Chapter 57 - Yuyan archers

- Third POV -

The herbalist is standing in front of some bushes.

"Ah! Plum blossom!" Beams the woman as she plucks a flower from the tree.

"Finally! Thank you for all your help!" Exclaims Aang as he tries to yank the bowl out of the herbalist's hands. However, she slaps his hands roughly away with her spoon.

"Hands off!" Exclaims the woman.

"Ow!" Cries Aang out.

"What do you think you're doing?" Asks the herbalist annoyed.

"Taking the cure to my friends" Replies Aang as he rubs his hand. The woman lowers her spoon and starts to laugh. Mizuki raises her eyebrow confused, why would Aang need a cure for Sokka and Katara?

"This isn't a cure! It's Miyuki's dinner. Plum blossom is her favorite" Chuckles the herbalist.

"What about my friends?" Asks Aang confused.

"Well, all they need are some frozen wood frogs. There's plenty down in the valley swamp" Informs the woman.

"What am I supposed to do with frozen frogs?"

"Why, suck on them of course!" Says the herbalist. Aang and Mizuki share a disgusted look.

"Suck on them?" Asks Mizuki as her eye twitches.

"The frog skin excretes a substance that will cure your friends. Be sure to get plenty because once those little critters thaw out, they're useless!" States the herbalist.

"You're insane, aren't you?" Exclaims Aang while Mizuki elbows him.

"Ow!"

"Don't be rude" Scolds Mizuki.

"That's right! Well, don't stand there all day! Go!" Says the woman before she starts feeding her cat. Aang and Mizuki exit the green house, only to realize that the storm had gotten worse. Mizuki waterbends some of the rain and creates an ice umbrella.

"Let's just walk for now. If we run we might slip and fall" Suggests Mizuki as she starts walking with her umbrella. Aang walks next to her.

"Also, why did you need a cure for Sokka and Katara?" Asks Mizuki confused.

"Well, they caught a fever and I couldn't find any ginger root" Answers Aang. Mizuki starts to laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"You know, you could've just asked me to heal them instead" Chuckles Mizuki while Aang sweatdrops.

"I-" Aang gets cut off by Mizuki.

"I can't believe you forgot you idiot" Mizuki punches Aang's arm.

"Hey, I didn't sleep well last night! I'm just tired" Complains Aang. Suddenly, several arrows come out of nowhere and pin Mizuki to a tree. Aang manages to escape the arrows by using a shield made of air.

"Mizuki! Are you okay?" Exclaims Aang worriedly as he removes the arrows. Mizuki does the same.

"I'm fine, I just got cut a little on my left arm, I think" Replies Mizuki as she grabs her left arm. As soon as she lets go of her arm she notices blood stains on her hand. Yep, I definitly got cut. Great.

"But, who did this?" Asks Mizuki confused as she looks around. I don't see anyone? Before Aang could answer, several arrows launch towards his direction. Mizuki quickly uses the rain's water to create an ice shield to protect Aang.

"Aang, we need to get out of here. They're coming for us!" Exclaims Mizuki concerned.

"Let's head back to camp!" Shouts Aang.

"Wait no! If we go back we'll bring Katara and Sokka in danger. They're not in the state to fight or defend themselves" Aang looks at Mizuki for a second before sighing.

"You're right. We need to make sure that they're not following us before we head back to camp" States Aang. Suddenly, several arrows launch towards the duo. However, they don't have time to dodge them and get pinned to the ground. Mizuki and Aang let out a scream as the arrows pierce through their clothing, and some of them even cut their limbs. They begin to remove the arrows, but before they can escape they get pinned down by another wave of arrows. Their blood starts to mix with the rainwater, leaving a red puddle underneath their bodies.

"There are too many of them! What are we gonna do?" Panics Mizuki as she removes the arrows as fast as she can. However, before she can escape, another few arrows pin her down and the archers start to approach them.

❀❀❀

"So this is the great Avatar. Master of all the elements. I don't know how you've managed to elude the Fire Nation for a hundred years. but your little game of hide and seek is over" Says Zhao smugly.

"I've never hidden from you! Untie me and I'll fight you right now!" Shouts Aang angrily.

"Uhm. No. Now tell me, how does it feel to be the only airbenders left? Do you two miss your people?" Upon hearing these words, Aang looks down sorrowful while Mizuki starts to tear up.

"Don't worry, you won't be killed like they were" States Zhao evilly.

"You bastard!" Yells Mizuki angrily while Aang glares at Zhao.

"See, if you die you will just be reborn and the Fire Nation would have to start searching all over again. So I'll keep you alive, but just barely" Explains Zhao.

"But you, on the other hand" Begins Zhao as he looks at Mizuki.

"You won't be reborn, so you better watch your mouth. Because I have no problem with ending your life" Mizuki gulps nervously. Please don't kill me...I don't want to die yet. Aang furiously takes a deep breath and blows at gale force at Zhao, who flies backwards and slams into the wall behind him.

"Blow all the wind you want, but your situation is futile. There is no escaping this fortress, and no one is coming to rescue you" Mocks Zhao.

"And if you even think about fighting back or escaping, I'll kill your dear friend" Threathens Zhao before leaving the room and slamming the door behind him.

❀❀❀

"Water...Katara" Mumbles Sokka.

"Momo should be back in any minute" Replies Katara. Suddenly, Momo jumps onto Katara's lap and drops a dead mouse. Katara looks at the mouse in disgust.

"Ugh! No, Momo. Water. Wa-ter!" Momo's ears perk up as he jumps off Katara's lap and flies away.

"Aang, Mizuki...what in the world is taking you so long?" Mumbles Katara before falling asleep.

❀❀❀

There's a wagon making its way towards the gate of the fortress. The mysterious guy with a blue mask is holding onto the underside of the wagon.

"All clear" States a soldier. The balcony of the fortress is festooned with gold and red spades. Admiral Zhao appears flanked by attendants.

"We are the sons and daughters of fire, the superior element! Until today only two things stood our path to victory, the Avatar and dualbender. I am here to tell you that they're now my prisoners!" Shouts Zhao proudly. The crowd starts to cheer.

"This is the year Sozin's Comet returns to grant us its power! This is the year the Fire Nation breaks through the walls of Ba Sing Se and burns the city to the ground!" Continues Zhao as the crowd cheers him on. Meanwhile, the masked guy sneaks around the fortress, it's almost as if he's searching for something...or someone.

To be continued

Word count: 1.165