12. Moron

Originally posted: April 5, 2022. Edited: February 17, 2023.

Good afternoon from the EST zone.  Here is another double update.  This is the first of two.  Stay tuned and please enjoy. 

I swear Harvey was looking at me funny. Maybe it's just my guilty conscience. Whether or not he could see through me, Harvey pondered for a second at my rapid fire questions. The group of gathered beasts were also listening.

"Snake beasts are generally stronger because they have more experience and survive through more difficult circumstances. They are ferals, so they don't live with others besides their mates. I don't know how many stripes it has, but it would be dangerous if..."

"It's fine if we kill it." Parker interrupted Harvey. "You don't have to be scared, female. I won't let that feral anywhere near Qingqing or the village."

Oh how I wanted to rake this little bitch over some coals. First off, you already failed in letting it near both Bai and the village. Secondly, your cocky, furry ass is going to get whipped. Thirdly, the whole reason I am talking about it, is in the case that it's stronger than you. Which is the case, moron.

"If you die because it's stronger, how many males is Bai going to take?" Damn this mouth of mine. Why do I feel such a strong urge to bitch slap this guy? He isn't even my problem, but I just haaave to pick a fight.

Parker turned livid at the thought. Wow Parker, You're pretty face can look ugly after all.

"That won't happen! I won't die and Qingqing won't ever take another mate!"

Poor thing is stuck in his rebellious phase. Well, I tried. If he dies, he dies. Hopefully he won't get the others killed in his suicide mission.

I doubt Harvey would go. He isn't warrior material. If he tries, I can latch onto his leg. It'll be tough to drag my chunky ass around like that.

I looked over at Bai. Unsurprisingly, she kept her mouth shut. She really need to stand up to Mr. Dick Little and his need to control her. I've mouthed off to him several times and still live, what's stoping her?

"Don't worry, Qinqing. I'll protect you." That would have been so sweet if it wasn't so stupid.

Parker had goofy grin that brought out his boyish looks. I think I prefer his ugly face. Good thing it's easy to make him mad. Too bad he won't live long at this rate.

After some war cries, the doomed hunting party left. Me and Harvey went back to his home and Bai was sent home by Parker. She wanted to come with me, but Parker had a conniption and refused to let her. His arrogance couldn't conceal the insecurities that he wore openly. Apparently, Harvey was a threat to his manhood or something.

Despite myself, I still worried. Maybe I could have tried harder to convince them. I could've played psychic and revealed the future, but then I would have been a target. I have no protection. Harvey doesn't count.

"Drew, would you like anything?" Sweet Harvey, please don't interrupt me while I'm panicking.

"I'm okay." Nice lie, me. I'm sure if Harvey didn't know that I'm full of crap, he does now. I resumed pacing a trench into his floor.

After several splinters later and an almost panic attack, Harvey gave me tea and fruits. The tea smelled minty and tasted nice. The fruits were a welcome snack. He carried a bowl of warm water and set it on the floor next to me.

"You should soak your feet. I'll smooth out the floor some more so this won't happen again."

I'm pretty sure that I have never met anyone so considerate before. Even my sarcastic comments died before they could leave my mouth.

"Thanks." I thought I would get off scot free if I thanked him. Then Harvey freaking smiled at me. Cough, cough, cough. I'm pretty sure the tea just destroyed by nostrils. Damn, it burns!

That smile was too beautiful. Is my underwear still on? Yes, good. Why does everyone here have to look like they stepped off a magazine cover!? Hell, most of these guys can put models to shame. I don't think I'm going to last very long.

Harvey was very concerned. Drew always seemed to be suffering in one way or another. No matter what he did, he always seemed to make it worse. He retrieved a small fur and handed it to Drew before lightly palming her back.

Maybe Drew would rather find a different guardian. His ears drooped thinking about it. These last couple of weeks were enjoyable. Drew always seemed to be doing things he'd never thought to try before. He enjoyed the meals she helped cook and found her strange quirks to be entertaining.

He did notice her abundance of negative emotions and worried profusely. For some reason, this female acted like she wasn't used to or worth consideration. He could only wonder what kind of terrible place she came from to act and feel that way.

Harvey shook those thoughts from his head. He wouldn't pry, but he would try to make his home as comfortable as he could for her. Maybe she will eventually let him help her with her troubles.

After I hacked up a lung and wiped the tea-mixed snot off my face, I noticed Harvey's kicked puppy look and felt just wonderful. Why did I have to mess everything up? He probably thinks he screwed up somehow. I wish I could tell him that I was the fucked up one, but that's a heavy emotional load to drop on someone I've only known for a couple of weeks.

"I'm okay. Thank you for stuff." Ugggh. Why can't I speak. Shouldn't this be getting easier by now? I need to practice more. "Harvey... can I try speaking more, I'm bad at it." This is going well. I should have dug a hole somewhere to crawl in during times of need, like now. Was what I said clear enough? Hell, why did I bother. I wasn't supposed to be an overachiever.

Harvey started glowing. Beaming actually. I had to shield my eyes and hold by bottoms. Why the hell was this guy so freaking happy? I can't be the best company, especially if I open my mouth. I am trying to take advantage of him here, and he's making me feel bad. What a nice jerk.