22. Living It Up

The second update for today, April 17.  Enjoy.

Edited: February 17, 2023.

I was ready to praise myself for job well done until I realized we are expected to share a room. These two seem reasonable, so I should be fine, right? Harvey shifted first and laid down. Shuu didn't seem entirely sure, but shifted as well. I slept between the two very furry beasts. I wasn't used to Shuu being there, so it took way too long for my tired ass to fall asleep.

I woke up the next morning laying against Shuu's shoulder. I absentmindedly stroked the fur. It was coarser than I expected and felt a little oily. It wasn't as smooth as Harvey's. It would definitely take some getting used to.

Noticing the leopard's absence, I dragged my lazy ass out of bed. I glared at the pile of straw as if I could will it to be something else. Just wait. Once my harem is bigger, I'll make a decent bed. Getting poked all night by stray straw sucked.

Shuu shifted and stood before me in full naked glory. There's something I can't unsee.

"Harvey is making breakfast. He left a bowl of warmed water for you to wash your face and teeth with." Now he looks bashful. What could it possibly be? "I got you a prickly fruit. The royal females like to use that to clean their teeth."

Was there something like that in the story? I never gave a shit about those tiny details. Still, that was considerate of him. When did he have the time to grab it? I guess yesterday was hectic, he could've slipped away at some point. Why was he bashful about that? He still hasn't covered himself and it doesn't seem like he will. Am I supposed to discourage this?

"Thanks, Shuu." That was the right response. Something moved vigorously from behind the place I'm not looking at. Drew, eyes up. Look at the face instead. Oh, damn. Wolf boy looks thrilled.

I think I made Shuu and Harvey smile more than the collective total of humans in my life. Maybe I'm not as fucked up as I thought. That, or it's their low standards at play again. Shit. I need to think positively. If they are happy, can't I just be happy too? What's so damn hard about that?

"Is there anything else you would like?" You are interrupting my regular scheduled program of self-depreciation. I need to tell this guy not to wait on me like a butler.

Oh. He'd look hot in a suit. What about slicking back the hair? It would work, 100%. He's rocking the birthday suit anyway.

Stop staring, Drew. Even if I am side eyeing, these guys with their super senses might catch me. What if they think I'm thirsty? Okay, maybe I am, but no one else has to know.

"No, Shuu. I'm good." Not really, but I can't overload my fiancé equivalent. I don't want him to run off with another women because I was being a needy bitch.

The rest of the day went pretty well. The three of us spent a lot of time bringing the house, er den, up to snuff. We got curtains, doors, and a sandpit mostly built. I also put in a garden and well request so we could grow our own food and herbs. The two were more than happy to help, but the garden didn't get started today.

Tomorrow we worked on the garden. I had the two make garden tools for us (mostly me). Shuu was opposed, thinking I would work too hard. Clearly, he doesn't know me well yet. I don't work hard at anything. I tricked him, by saying the tools would help him and Harvey work. They worked on a well for the next few days.

I had Harvey find bamboo and tried to weave baskets. I failed. I wish MC logic applied to me. After all, Qingqing was a modern sixteen year old who could miraculously do all kinds of random shit. Again, why can't that bogus logic apply to me? I want skills.

Thankfully, Harvey was much better at useful crafts than me. He weaved me several baskets as well as one successful fishing basket after I described it. I'm pretty sure Qingqing made something like that too. We baited it and put it in the river. I took the opportunity to swim.

The next day Harvey went and earned money by being a doctor. Made sense to me, so I did my own stuff. I showed Shuu my almost decent drawing skills by making him a rough sketch of his beast form. He acted like Harvey did and seemed to treasure the piece of paper.

It was nice to feel appreciated. I did make him swear to not speak of it for now. I don't want the ape king on my ass over a piece of paper.

Me and Shuu retrieved the fishing basket and I used that excuse to swim some more. I was stoked to have fish for dinner and Shuu eagerly started making me more baskets. His skills weren't as good as Harvey's, but they were better than mine.

Shuu mentioned introducing me to his father and I choked. I wasn't ready for that yet. What am I supposed to say to them? 'Hi, I'm Drew, the female who's going to marry your son.' I feel various levels of awkward thinking about it. He pouted extensively when I rejected his offer. So I said I would meet them once we are fully settled in here. He was happy again after that. His mood swings are dramatic.

For the next few days, we stocked the house and added new things. With Harvey's income, we were able to buy furs, a little rice, and other goods. Shuu was strong and made a stone basin for bathing. We obviously couldn't drag the one from the village all the way here. I was craving eggs so I asked the men to build a coop. I did try to help, since I didn't want another guilt trip, but they made me supervise.

After the coop was complete, I had the two look for birds that are like chickens while they went hunting. I couldn't recall the name, but knew they they existed. Shuu brought home one and called it a shortbird. We clipped it's wings and threw it in the coop. Shuu trained it to stay and fed it fish and veggies. I took over that job, since that was something I could handle. Nobody fought me for it, but I would've won anyway.

About a week later, Harvey sewed me new furs. Mine would no longer stay on me. My fatass couldn't be called skinny, but I did shave off some pounds. The new furs came from a wild tiger that Harvey had received as payment. The stripes were cool and I had him design a piece as a halter top.

Using our mutual brain power, we created a bra as well. I still had my old one, but it was too noticeable with my current outfit. Shuu had caught some funky ass lizard and we used its slightly stretchy skin to craft a bra. I hate bras, but gravity is an unforgiving bitch.

I still used my underwear since no one could see it normally. As soon as I can find a fabric that doesn't chafe, I will make a new pair.

I usually went out with Shuu when I'd leave the den. He has enough influence to scare off some males. It's helpful most of the time, but I need to tell him to lay off a bit. I will need to grow this harem if I want to have an okay life here. Shuu did get into several fights and came back banged up. Thankfully, I knew first aid and would treat him. Now, if only he didn't look at me like I was holy. I get it. It's rare for females to give a shit, but come on.

Other than the fact that Shuu was a fanatical worshipper of my great self, he made for a great guy. His passion was scary, but if I think of it differently, he is attentive. Hands down, his best quality, is the respect he has for both me and Harvey. He's clearly the strongest one here, but he never throws his weight around. Harvey seems to like him as well.

My spur of the moment decision has actually been a great thing. That doesn't happen often.