15. Give Me A Break

Edited: February 17, 2023.

The second update of today,  April 8, 2022.  Enjoy.

On the morning of day six, the three of us ate breakfast in silence. Once we finished eating, Harvey left to complete his duty as the family's breadwinner. Qingqing convinced me to go to the river and bathe with her. I had been avoiding that part of town in case red, hot, and snakey was still around.

I had to hold my fur up as we made our way there. I guess my diet has undergone a massive change, so says my still raw butthole. Who knew it would only take going to the world of cavemen to lose weight? Too bad I can't market that.

I can see the infomercial now. 'Be chased by sexy men in a primitive world... I'm Drew and I lost half my body weight and died... Signing up is simple. Just fall into a coma and wallah! The pounds will melt off of you. Guaranteed results or your money back.'

Time to focus. Whether this was a dream or something else, I am along for the ride. We stepped into the water and I hissed. It was very cool compared to my body temperature. I can't ask Harvey to supply bath water when he's already working his ass off. I'll get used to it.

I took the little bits of grass and mud and scrubbed quickly. I didn't want to be here. I finished my bath in record time. My hair was a lost cause. It was medium length and had grown too long. It was now irreparably tangled with knots. I'll borrow a knife from Harvey and play hair dresser.

In contrast, Qingqing's hair was long and perfect. That's definitely anime logic at play there. Why isn't it applying to me? This world discriminates.

I scrubbed the shit out of my furs and underwear, since my company was taking her sweet time. I finished cleaning, tripped in the water, and my tsunami knocked Qingqing off her feet.

"I'm sorry." I tried to help her up, but she looked really embarrassed and wouldn't grab my hand. I'm assuming it's because we are both nude. According to some unreliable sources, we should be deepening our bonds of friendship right now. Maybe that only works with dudes... or friends.

I got out, got dressed in wet clothes, and got the hell away from the water. I would have loved to go for a swim under different circumstances. The water was clear and unpolluted. Swimming was the only form of exercise I didn't mind. Unfortunately, gyms and public pools had people. Plus babies and kids piss in the public ones. So I never swam much.

No use thinking about it now. With Curtis, the violent snek on the loose, there's no such thing as a relaxing swim. I waited impatiently for a certain girl to finish her bath.

Once she was done, we went back to Harvey's hut. I changed furs and laid down for a nap. I was still recovering, so I was healing, not being lazy. When I woke up, Qingqing was gone.

I let a long sigh. Is this what babysitters feel like? I'd never willingly volunteer for that and no one dares to let me watch their little demons.

Alright, I've decided. It's not my problem. Moving on.

At least it is supposed to be that way. I really, really wanted it to be that way. Of course this goddamned universe has to wreck all of my hopes and dreams.

Qingqing came home later and was holding something unfortunately red. I quieted my inner bitch, crawled under the fur blankets, and didn't say a word. I don't get paid enough to put up with this shit.

Qingqing tried to defend herself. But I refused to respond. She fucked herself, nothing more to say. She doesn't need my permission (obviously) or my acceptance.

"The villagers have made it safe now, and the owner left this. It should be okay."

How desperate was she for nice fabric? I was certain she hated snakes enough to never look at its skin again. This has got to be the work of the plot. Otherwise, Qingqing hit her head hard somewhere since coming here.

"I-urk!" Before she could say what she wanted to, Qingqing was abruptly cut off. I was just a bit tempted to take a peek, but contained myself. I prayed that Harvey would not come home for a while.

"Who are you!? Let me down!" I thought she would continue, but she quieted down quick. Maybe she caught sight of his snake man features.

"Drew, help me please!"

Hah! That's funny. Why the hell should I? I got one hit KOed by a leopard who was way weaker than this guy. What did she expect from me? Seduction techniques? I think I'll stay right here thanks.

My skin was covered in goosebumps and I summoned every ounce of acting skill I had and played dead. Please leave already.

"Drew! Parker! Harvey!" Stop calling our names, bitch! Don't involve us in your drama.

"Call them. I'll kill them when they come." I shivered at that icy voice. It would have sounded sexy if it wasn't for the scary words he was saying.

Girl, keep your mouth shut, please! You made your bed, so lay in it. If you have any intelligence or decency left in you, don't say anything else.

I could hear Curtis slither out the door. I thought he was gone, but he said something else.

"Female under the furs." Oh, fuck me. "What do you mean by 'snakes are awesome'?"

Son of a bitch! I knew that would come back to bite me in the ass. What the hell do I say?

"It's a compliment." That was all I could say. I couldn't think enough to come up with something else. The tension was real. I think I'm gonna hurl.

Before I could ruin the bed, Curtis left. I heaved onto the wooden floor and counted my blessings. That went well.

Before I could celebrate my survival, angry sounding roars vibrated my body and soul. Please, don't let it be Harvey. I ran out to find Curtis breaking a leopard.

"Please don't hurt him! Please, let him go! Please!" Qingqing was begging Curtis.

I stared at the leopard. It was wearing a necklace. Thank god it was Parker. I sank to the ground in relief. I don't give two shits if the plot wants to stay on track at this point, let it.