83. Qingqing's Perspective

1/1 update for today August 1, 2022.  Here's the chapter nobody asked for :D  I felt it was fair to let Bai Qingqing's thoughts show for at least one chapter.   This will not happen much, if ever again.  I hope it entertains you all.  Happy reading.

 Bai Qingqing spooned some boiled eggs for her babies. They could hardly be called babies now. Each one was at least two meters long. They were ravenous, but a hiss or two from Curtis kept them in line.

"You shouldn't spoil them anymore," Curtis said with a scowl on his face.

Qingqing froze mid action. She didn't see how this could cause a problem, but maybe she was too shortsighted.

"Do you really think it will hurt?" Qingqing asked. She didn't want to cross any boundaries when this wasn't the culture she knew, but she still felt like she should take care of her children.

"Yes," Curtis said, tone softening. He thought that having offspring might make Snow like him more. Since Snow insisted on giving the baby snakes so much attention, he wasn't thrilled. At least she still came to him when she needed help with them. His expression softened even more.

"Okay," Qingqing relented. She put the eggs in a bowl and Curtis gave it to his young. They violently swarmed the bowel and Qingqing flinched.

She had gone back to feeding them by hand since watching them fight for the food like this made her anxious. Still, she wanted to respect Curtis's wishes.

"Qingqing! I harvested some potatoes. I'll add them to the stew tonight," said a cheery Parker.

"En. That's good. Thank you," Parker gloated and Curtis scowled. Qingqing looked between the two nervously. They had gotten along much better recently, but over the last couple of days, Curtis had become much more irritable. She tried to distract them both quickly.

"How is the well?" She asked quickly. She didn't think there was a need for wells now, but thought it could be useful in case of drought. Why Drew seemed so sure that there would be one, was still a mystery to her, but she didn't see a reason not to plan for the worst case scenario. Especially since Drew was right about her running into trouble at the ape king's castle. She was more willing to trust in the women's foresight after that.

"It is good and full. It is convenient to have water so close instead of going to the river every time," Parker said in a jolly mood. He didn't really care about the reason behind the well, as long as it helped them. Parker found Drew odd, but she was more tolerable than most females. But no female came close to his Qingqing.

Parker placed the cleaned potatoes on a plate while wearing a silly grin. Since Qingqing liked the other female, he would support their friendship for as long as Qingqing liked.

Curtis hissed suddenly and Parker sniffed the air. Curtis dashed out the door as Parker recognized the scent. Qingqing had followed Curtis when Parker showed no strong reaction. Outside, Curtis was glaring at a pile of fruit. Qingqing looked up, but couldn't find any sign of Muir.

Since Parker wasn't reacting badly, but Curtis was, these fruits should be from him. Qingqing felt conflicted. She knew that Curtis and Muir had a terrible relationship. She didn't dislike Muir and he had helped her and Parker a lot during the cold season.

She had only just gotten used to having both Curtis and Parker as spouses. Since Curtis hated Muir, she wouldn't consider taking him as a spouse. It could never work out. She felt a small feeling bud and wished it would go away. The guilt came rushing in afterwards. Muir had done so much for her, but she couldn't give him anything back. He almost died helping her. There was no way she wouldn't be moved.