Chapter 42: What Really Is Death?

When Alan regained consciousness, he was in a small, dark room. There wasn't much inside the room; just a table and a bed on which Alan laid.

"In the many years that I was alive, never would I have thought that successor would be such a freak"

The figure that spoke had long blue hair. His crimson red eyes stared at Alan with unhidden amusement.

He was the Demon Lord!

"What's so funny?" Alan asked as soon as he saw the Demon Lord. Clearly, he didn't remember his person. If he did, he would have kowtowed to him a hundred times already.

"The fact that you would kill yourself to win a mere competition" the Demon Lord said.

"It was just an illusion" Alan said.

"You have no idea how these things work do you?" the Demon Lord chuckled before he explained further "When you are in an illusionary realm and you die, you get sent back to the real world, right?"

"Yes" Alan nodded. What the Demon Lord said was common knowledge.

"Well then, did you know that it only works when your cause of death is within the designer of that world's expectation?" The Demon Lord said as he waited for Alan to process his words before continuing "In other words, if someone builds an illusion and expects everyone present to die by poisoning, anyone who dies by any other way will die for real"

"And how does that concern me" Alan preferred to maintain his stance as the tough guy.

"Well, the academy didn't prepare for someone to die by self detonation" the Demon Lord said "In other words, you'd be dead if not for me"

"And who might you be" Alan asked. He wasn't about to let some weirdly dressed scum give him a lecture.

"My name is Klassen, but they call me the Demon Lord" the Demon Lord answered calmly.

Alan almost fell from where he laid after hearing the Demon Lord speak.

He cupped his palms and spoke, "This disciple in unfilial"

The Demon Lord chuckled and answered him "Please stop. You look like one of those characters in the Eastern fantasies I read"

Alan didn't understand what the Demon Lord said but kept his head down nonetheless, he just did this to please the Demon Lord.

"Why are you here" Alan asked.

"I came here to teach you some cool combat skills. The ones you have are so lame" the Demon Lord said casually "You also inherited Finn, so I have to teach you how to use him. But that's for another time"

"Who's Finn" Alan asked.

"The purple Phoenix that lives in your glabella" the Demon Lord said calmly.

"How do you know about him" Alan asked. Not a hint of panic could be seen on his face.

"He was actually my demon"

"..."

"About upgrading your spells" the Demon Lord said as he stood up from where he sat and went outside the room. Before he left the room, he turned back and spoke: "Aren't you coming"

At that moment, Alan then realized that he was supposed to follow the Demon Lord out of the room. Such punishment. Why were the heavens so cruel as to give him a predecessor that made him stand after he was gravely injured.

However, Alan discovered that when he stood up, his body had recovered completely. There was no sign of an injury.

"Demon Lord's awesomeness might be on par with mine" Alan muttered to himself as he walked outside the room.

Of course, he wasn't going to claim that another person was more awesome than him. That would be a taboo as far as he was concerned, and he couldn't bring himself to commit such a grave sin.

"Now, the very first technique that I will teach you or called, path of death" the Demon Lord said.

He grabbed into the air and a sword materialized into his hands. It looked very much like the Demon slaying sword. Except that it was silver coloured.

"Now, I'm going to ask you a simple question" the Demon Lord said. "What is death"

"..."

"Too me, death is simply when you are no longer of this world. It's when you have left this world behind and cannot be considered as much a mere existence" the Demon Lord said. "For you to master this spell, you have to have your own meaning of death. And so, I leave you with this question... What really is death"