Game 2 Day 4 (Morning)

Harriet Mains POV

I stalked down the city road, twirling my knife between my fingers and whistling a merry tune. The twins and Cedric had left the city area in favour of the suburbs, where the majority of the tributes were hiding, so that left me here by myself. This was all so easy. So easy it was almost boring. I could pretty much guarantee myself a spot in the Ultimate Games at this rate. This was no fun at all.

I needed a challenge.

For a few moments I considered going into the suburbs and hunting down the other tributes. It would cure this boredom, that was for sure. But then if I encountered the twins or Cedric, I'd be toast. No, no I couldn't do that. Too risky. And all the alliances left had relatively strong tributes. The little BFF trio was gone, but so were most of the weak tributes. Thomas was much stronger than me, so I didn't have much hope of getting to any of his alliance. Hope, Mike and Nick would also be very difficult to kill, especially with 3 against 1. I scowled in annoyance and kicked at the road, still spinning my knife between my fingertips. I'd have to stay here and die of boredom.

I turned to my right and ventured inside a building, shutting the door gently behind me. It didn't do much, the numerous holes in it wouldn't provide much protection against any kind of attack. I sighed and turned away, walking towards the stairs at the back of the building. The area looked... familiar. I wasn't quite sure why, though. I leapt up onto the stairwell and made my way up slowly, exhaustion beginning to settle in. I had barely slept in days. I'd gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep since coming into the arena, and it was beginning to take its toll. I looked down at my shoes as I climbed the stairs, huffing in exhaustion. This wasn't good.

Finally, I reached the top of the stairs. I pushed open the door and stumbled out onto the roof, sweat beginning to bead on my forehead. I wiped it off with the back of my hand and ventured to the edge of the roof, looking out at the arena. The sun was beginning to rise, and dawn light was shining down on the city. Although I couldn't be certain, I had a feeling in my gut that this was the last day in the arena. Only 4 more deaths until it all ended. And I wasn't going to be one of those deaths. No.

"You're almost there, Harriet," I muttered to myself, looking around at the street. Suddenly, the realization struck me. I stood agape for a moment. I knew this building was familiar. This was where Iris and I had taken refugee during the mutt attack. This was where Iris fell.

This was where I let Iris fall to her death.

I shook my head, trying to cleanse the accusing thoughts from my mind. I couldn't falter now. I'd take on anyone who passed, it would get the games over with quicker. If this was the last day in the arena, then someone won't come out of a fight alive. And that someone wouldn't be me. I refused to let that happen.

Something caught my eye on the ground. I peered down at the road, struggling to see in the meagre light, and saw Hope, Mike and Nick wandering down the street, their movement's heavy with exhaustion. I smirked. That would be three down. Only one left to kill.

With one last look at the trio on the street, I stood up and jogged to the stairwell, fire pumping through my veins.

Mike Roberts POV

Hope, Nick and I trekked across the bridge, sweat beading on our foreheads and our shoulders aching with the weight of our packs. Nick was a little way ahead of Hope and I, trudging forward determinedly. Hope walked alongside me, hunched over with her brown-blonde hair hanging around her face in messy tangles. Her hair tie had broken when she tried to pull it up into a ponytail earlier, so now she had to remain with her hair in her eyes. She huffed out a breath of hair and flicked her hair back, tucking stray pieces behind her ears. She glanced over at me and I quickly avoided her gaze, embarrassment churning in my stomach. I saw the hint of a smile on Hope's face, but when I turned towards her it was gone and she was staring ahead once more. Our hands brushed as we walked, but I didn't dare grab her hand. It would distract me far too much.