District 5 Reaping

Marc Duncan POV

I walked to the reapings, my hair combed back and my suit clean and neat. I walked side by side with my friend Gabriella, who was nervously twisting her hair around her fingers. We arrived at the town square and stopped walking, staring up at the huge stage outside the Justice Building. Gabriella gulped nervously. I squeezed her hand tightly and gave her a quick hug.

“We’ll get through this, Gabs. Like we do every year.” I said softly. Gabriella nodded and hugged me back, her soft silk dress brushing my legs. It was a beautiful dress, really. The bodice was white, and the colour gradually changed as you went down the dress all the way to her knees, where the colour was a soft blue. It had thin spaghetti straps and a small white rose was attached to the top left of the bodice.

“How about after the reapings, you come over to my house, OK?” I suggested, trying to calm down my friend. “We can have dinner and hang out.”

Gabriella nodded and pulled away from the hug. She smiled softly at me, her bottom lip wobbling slightly, before she turned and made her way to the 15 year old girls section. I went to the 15 year old boys section and stood waiting for the reapings to begin. Soon enough, our escort Shimmer appeared on stage, happy as ever.

“Helloooooooo!” she grinned at us. I stifled a laugh as Shimmer smiled out at the crowd, looking like a Cheshire cat who had had too much caffeine.

“Firstly, may I say what an absolute honor it is to be your escort! I sincerely hope that all 6 of you make it through to the Ultimate Games! Now, ladies first!”

Shimmer skipped over to the girls bowl and pulled out a slip of paper, holding it delicately between her fingers. She opened it up and read out the name, loudly and clearly.

“Dianna Barrett!”

The whole crowd went silent as all eyes turned to the 13 year old section. A little girl stood there, her eyes wide and her jaw slack. After a few moments of awkward silence, the girl slowly made her way to the stage, her dark blonde hair swishing in the small breeze.

“I’m 13.” She said softly. She sat down in the first chair and leaned back, her eyes shut.

“Next girl!” Shimmer screamed happily. She picked out another slip of paper and read out the name.

“Adele Green!”

A girl emerged from the 17 year old section and slowly made her way onstage. She looked calm and almost…. Confident. I looked more closely at her, and was surprised to see that, unlike most tributes were, her eyes didn’t show any signs of fear. She walked up on stage and faced the crowd.

“I’m 17.” She said confidently. She went and sat beside Dianna.

“Now for our final girl!” Shimmer grinned. She dug around in the bowl for a few moments before pulling out one last slip of paper. An avox appeared and carried the girls bowl into the Justice Building as Shimmer read out the girls name.

“Gabriella Donnelly!”

My heart stopped beating.

It felt like I was having a heart attack. I saw Gabriella walk onstage, her eyes wide and fearful. Tears sprung to my eyes.

No, no, no. Why Gabby?

“I’m 15 years old.” Gabriella squeaked into the microphone. She went and sat down next to Adele and immediately locked eyes with me, her gaze begging me to save her.

But I couldn’t.

I couldn’t save her.

I felt like I was the person sentencing her to death.

“Now, for the boys!” Shimmer screamed. She waltzed over to the boys bowl and pulled out a slip of paper. She walked to the microphone and opened up the slip.

“Travis Bates!”

Shit.

The odds really weren’t in my favor that day.

Along with Gabriella, Travis was one of my best friends. I watched him as he made his way to the stage, his bottom lip wobbling.

“I-I’m 15” he stuttered. He sat down next to Gabriella, who gave him a reassuring hug.

“Now for our second boy!” Shimmer trilled. She reached into the bowl and picked out another slip of paper. She opened it up, waited a few moments for suspense, then read out the name.

“Marc Duncan!”

Shit. Shit. Shit shit shiiiiiiit.

Well, wasn’t this just the best day ever?

Yep. Totally.

I walked up to the stage, my legs feeling like jelly. Travis and Gabriella stared at me in horror.

“I’m 15.” I said into the microphone. I sat down next to Travis, and Gabriella smiled at me in an attempt to reassure me.

“At least we have eachother.” She said, looking to Travis and I. Travis nodded.

“We can alliance during the games. Maybe we can get a couple of other tributes to ally with us.” I added. Gabriella and Travis nodded in agreement.

“Final tribute!” Shimmer shrieked, interrupting us. She pulled out a slip of paper and read it loudly.

“Toby Haynes!”

“NO!” someone wailed. A small boy with a mop of dark brown hair walked out of the mass of staring and gaping children as he made his way to the stage. He stood at the microphone, his hands trembling.

“I’m 13.” He said shakily. He sat down beside me, looking down at his hands.

“Well, ladies and gentlemen, that concludes the reaping for today! Please give a warm round of applause for our tributes! Dianna Barrett, Adele Green, Gabriella Donnelly, Travis Bates, Marc Duncan and Toby Haynes!”

The only ones who clap are the ones holding betting slips and money, the ones who are beyond caring about our lives. Everyone else remains silent.

“Happy Hunger Games!” Shimmer trilled. “And may the odds be ever in your favor!”