Train Ride

Talia Carter POV

~~~~~

I looked up as the train grinded to a halt at the station. Benji was the first to get on, followed by Jai and Xavier, who were talking softly. Of course.

Eliza stepped onto the train, silent tears rolling down her face. I walked up after her, and Anastasia got on last. The doors closed and the train began to roll along the track. Delilah told us that we could visit the other carriages with the other tributes, but we had to come back to our compartments for dinner and when we got off the train. I walked into the District 3 compartment, as did Benji. Benji walked over to Arwin and began to talk to her. I looked around the compartment for possible allies. My eyes fell upon Ramona and Chase, who were talking in hushed whispers. I strode up to them, smiling.

"Hi." I smiled. Ramona turned around, confused.

"Want to be allies?" I asked. Ramona exchanged a look with Chase, and then looked back to me.

"Uh... are you good with any weapons?" Chase asked.

"Throwing knives." I answered immediately. Chase looked over at Ramona.

Ramona sighed and turned to me.

"Fine. You're on board."

I smiled broadly at my two new allies. Chase gave me a small smile.

The door between compartments 2 & 3 opened. Fern, Eve, Shane and Demetria all walked through. Fern, Shane and Eve walked over to Arwin and Benji, and, to my surprise, Demetria walked over to my group.

"Uhh..." she mumbled. "Hi."

"Shouldn't you be in the first compartment with your Career buddies?" Ramona scowled. Demetria rolled her eyes to heaven.

"I'm not in the career alliance. I don't like how they murder people left and right. Do you want to team up?" Demetria asked. I frowned.

"Fine." Ramona said. "But if I find out you're reporting back to Honour or whoever, I will end you. Got it?"

Demetria nodded and sat down on a couch in the corner. I sat next to her, and Ramona and Chase sat on my other side.

I looked around at the people in our compartment, hoping to spot some alliances forming. Fern, Shane, Arwin, Benji and Eve were in an alliance of 5. I doubted they would be that hard to kill.

Honour, Aria, Emmett, Damon, Piper and Aaron were probably banded together. They were one big group of six. My guess was that they would kill everyone and try to get the whole Career alliance through to the Ultimate Games. I had no idea what had happened to Eliza or Anastasia, although when I was coming into the District 3 compartment I saw Anastasia talking to Jai and Xavier. Jai.

I shuddered. He was the kind of person that made me want to vomit whenever I saw them. Selfish. Arrogant. And so annoying.

I smiled around at my new allies. "Alliance till the end?"

Ramona nodded. "Till the end."

Aria Reed POV

"So..." Honour said. "Alliance?"

Honour, Emmett, Damon and myself were sitting at a table in the District 1 compartment. Sitting across from us were Piper and Aaron, the only two careers from District 2. We offered a place in the careers to Hunter, however he declined.

Ha. Wimp.

"Alliance." Piper agreed. Her gaze flitted over us, then stopped at me. Her eyes hardened.

"Question," Piper began. "Why are we bringing along Little Bo Peep? I mean, come on. She's 13."

I laughed coldly. "Funny. Maybe you should run a joke night."

Piper scowled and looked down, but I continued.

"What kind of a name is Piper, anyway? Gee, your parents certainly have a weird sense of humour!"

Emmett wrinkled his nose, confused. "I don't get it." He mumbled.

I rolled my eyes, then shrugged. "Eh. I'm not surprised."

Emmett's brow furrowed as he tried to process what I said. There were a few moments of awkward silence.

"I can almost hear the gears grinding in your head." I smirked.

Piper shook her head. "Alright, she's a smart ass. Great. Is that the only reason she's tagging along?"

"Piper, she's a career too." Honour snapped. "Just leave her alone, OK?"

Piper scowled and shuffled her feet. I grinned triumphantly and leaned on the table with my elbows.

"Are there any other decent people in the other districts?" I asked. Piper shook her head and smirked. "District 3 has a bunch of wimps."

"What about Jai and Anastasia from District 4?" Honour asked.

I laughed. "Hell no. Jai is a smartass."

"In that case, he'd fit right in." Piper commented, staring at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Anastasia... she wouldn't be helpful to us." I continued. The others nodded.

The train began to pull up in the station.

"We have to go, guys." Aaron said. We nodded goodbye as he and Piper left the compartment.

"Piper is so annoying." I groaned.

Honour smirked. "If our plans go the way we want it to, she won't be around for long."

I snickered along with Honour as we stepped out of the train. Piper was going to get what was coming to her.

And no one was going to stop me.