District 2 Reapings

Fern Steel POV

I sat in the tall oak tree next to Ryan, my legs dangling over the ground. I looked through the leaves of the tree as people in their homes began to leave, heading towards the town square. Judging by their neat and tidy appearance they were leaving for the reaping. I turned to Ryan.

"We need to leave soon." I said.

Ryan followed my gaze to the town and swore.

"Jesus, we need to go." He agreed. He quickly grabbed a small branch in front of him and swung onto a lower branch. He landed in a catlike stance, then beckoned to me. I followed him and we leaped down from the tree, landing next to each other. Ryan and I were friends. I had only met him this year, but he seemed nice.

Ryan smiled and brushed off my hair with his hand.

"You got leaves in your braid." He smiled. I laughed and looked up at him. The laughter drained from his face as he leaned down to me. I frowned, and was about to ask what he was doing when he kissed me. He tasted of honeysuckle and he smelt, strangely, of mint. I stood there in shock, not daring to move. Ryan broke away and smiled, then noticed my shocked expression. "Umm... should I have –" he began, but I smiled at him awkwardly and took a few paces back.

"Bye, Ryan." I grinned giddily. I walked towards the town square, fixing my hair as I did so. Eventually, I gave up and tugged it out of its braid. It hung in loose curls around my face. I looked down at my slightly-too-big white summer dress with small orangish flowers on it. The flowers matched my dirty blonde hair in a weird way, but at least I looked OK.

I took my place in the 15 year olds section, right next to Anne, a girl at school. We didn't speak much, but the only other available spot was next to Willow, a girl who had made it her personal mission to torment me in school. Even as I stood next to Anne, Willow turned around and laughed.

"Hey big foot!" she sneered. I shuffled my slightly larger than average feet, turning red.

"Leave her alone," Anne snapped. "This day is bad enough without you being a bitch."

Willow looked surprised that Anne had spoken. So was I.

"Thanks." I said to her. Anne nodded and turned her attention to the stage as our escort Prucella skipped onstage. Every year, she wore a different colour. This year, it was purple. Her hair was teased and dyed purple. The large black tattoos on her arms stood out prominently against her short sleeved purple dress, which had spikes on the shoulders. She wore outrageously high heels and, in typical Prucella fashion, had done her lipstick far outside her natural lip line, giving her the appearance of huge lips.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the reaping of the 200th Hunger Games!" she trilled. When no one applauded, she continued.

"Alright!" Prucella trilled, obviously trying to keep the ball moving. "Now let's get onto the girls!"

She carefully plucked three slips from the girls bowl, and opened the first one.

"Poppy-"

"I volunteer!" someone shouted.

Surprise, surprise.

A girl strode forward from the 18 year old section and jumped up the steps two at a time.

"My name is Piper Canturbury!" she smiled out to the audience. "I'm 18, and I'm going to win!"

The crowd smiled at her attitude. In District 2, wanting to die was something that was rewarded. Sickening.

Piper took a seat next to Shane as Prucella opened the second slip.

"Eve Smith!" she called out.

"No!" someone in the audience shrieked. Little Eve shuffled out of the 12 year old section and walked slowly towards the stage, her eyes darting around nervously. The whole district caught their breath as she trotted onstage. She mumbled something into the microphone.

"What was that, dear?" Prucella asked. Eve raised her voice slightly and said she was 12, then sat down next to Piper.

"Now our final female tribute for this year's games!" Prucella grinned. She opened the final slip and paused for dramatic effect.

"Fern Steel!" she screamed happily.

It took me a moment to realize it was my name she was calling. I started shaking all over.

A peacekeeper grabbed me and began dragging me to the stage. I dug in my heels, desperate to get away. Silently my eyes were flitting around the crowd, begging for someone - anyone - to volunteer in my place. But no one did.

"How old are you, darling?" Prucella asked.

"15." I muttered. I began walking towards the seats, stumbling over my feet as I did so.

"Okay, then." Prucella nodded, "Now onto the boys!" She plunged her hand into the boys bowl, and carefully selected a slip of paper. She opened it up and read it loudly into the microphone.

"Dyl-"

"I VOLUNTEER!" someone yelled. A handsome boy from the 14 year old section ran forward, his eyes glittering.

"What's your name?" Prucella asked.

"Hunter Williamson." He said, directing a charming smile at the audience. Several girls squealed excitedly. Prucella smiled and directed Hunter to the seats. Then she put her hand in again.

"Mason-"

"I VOLUNTEER!" a boy from the 17 year old section shouted. He ran to the stage and quickly stood next to Prucella.

"What's your name?" Prucella asked.

"Aaron Parker." The boy said proudly. Aaron took a seat next to Hunter and they began talking in hushed whispers.

"How exciting!" Prucella beamed at the audience. "Alright. Last boy!"

Although I knew it was selfish, my eyes began to scan the crowd for Ryan. Part of me hoped he would do something, even though I knew it was utterly preposterous. Prucella plunged her hand into the bowl and pulled out a name from the very bottom. She opened it up.

"Shane... Shane Schultz!" She called, obviously expecting to be interrupted again. I looked around in surprise, expecting someone to volunteer. But no one did.

Shane emerged from the 15 year old section and walked forward slowly, his eyes trained on the stage. He walked up and made a beeline for the seats.

"Hold your horses, Shane." Prucella laughed, catching his arm and pulling him back. "How old are you?"

"15." Shane scowled. He marched over to the seats and sat down next to Aaron, his face now devoid of emotion.

"And that concludes our reaping!" Prucella screamed excitedly. "Please put your hands together for our tributes! Hunter Williamson, Aaron Parker, Shane Schultz, Piper Canterbury, Eve Smith and Fern Steel!"

I looked out to the audience, trying to look brave, but I was secretly dying inside. I looked in the crowd for Ryan, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Happy Hunger Games!" Prucella trilled. "And may the odds be ever in your favor!"