District 7 Reaping

Acacia McCartney POV

Most people in district 7 were making their way to the reapings, their hair combed back and their clothes crisp and clean. They were clutching each other’s hands, praying that they wouldn’t be the one to be chosen.

Me?

I was curled up on the floor in my home, sobbing hysterically, as my older sister sat trying to comfort me.

“I don’t want to die!” I bawled, sniffling loudly. “I’m so scared!”

“It’s OK!” Brianna, my older sister, said comfortingly as she stroked my hair. “You won’t get picked, I promise!”

“What if I do?” I sobbed. “What if I get reaped?”

“Then-“ Brianna stopped, her lips pursed. “I-I’ll volunteer in your place.”

“You will?” I hiccupped, my hands shaking. Brianna nodded and gently rocked me back and forth. “Ssshhh…” she whispered. Finally, my whimpering died down. Brianna took my hand and gently steered me out of the door and towards the town square. I sniffled and wiped my nose, tears still dotting my vision. We arrived at the town square, and I shuffled on over to the 13 year old section as Brianna made her way to the 18 year olds. Right on time, our escort, Tigerlily, waltzed onstage. Unlike most escorts, she didn’t have that bouncy happy personality. She had that sly, secretive one instead.

“Hello, District 7.” Tigerlily smiled sweetly. “Let us begin the reapings! As usual, ladies first!”

She delicately picked out three slips and walked back to the microphone, grinning maniacally. She unfolded the first slip of paper and grinned to the crowd.

“Summer Clementine!”

“No!” A voice roared angrily. A girl walked from the 16 year old section and strode forward, her eyes wide with panic.

“SUMMER!” the voice roared again. A boy darted out from the 17 year old section and ran forward, grabbing Summer as tears spilled from his eyes. The two hugged for a moment, then peacekeepers walked forward and yanked Summer from the grasp of the boy, who put his head in his hands and walked back to his spot.

“Summer Clementine, everyone!” Tigerlily grinned as Summer walked onstage. “How old are you?”

“16.” Summer said sharply. She walked over and sat down in her seat.

“Next girl!” Tigerlily smiled toothily. She unfolded the next slip and read out the name, clear as a raindrop.

“Harriet Mains!”

A girl walked forward from the 15 year old section, her beachy bob cut bouncing gently as she walked. She took the stairs two at a time and grinned out broadly at the crowd.

“I’m Harriet, I’m 15, and I’m not going down without a fight!”

“Wonderful!” Tigerlily smiled. She ushered Harriet to her seat, then opened up the last slip.

“Acacia McCartney!”

My heart stopped.

At that moment, that dreadful moment that Tigerlily called my name, I wanted nothing more than for the universe to delete itself. My whole body shuddered as the horrific truth sunk in.

“Brianna!” I called out feebly. A peacekeeper grabbed me and dragged me to the stage, and I began to scream desperately.

“BRIANNA! BRIANNA! YOU PROMISED!” I screamed and writhed in the peacekeepers arms, but he wouldn’t let go. As I thrashed around desperately, I caught a glimpse of Brianna’s face as I passed the 18 years olds. Her expression was blank – almost dead.

“BRIANNA!” I screeched. Brianna slowly turned to me, her face still empty of emotion. Her eyes locked with mine.

Then, her lips curved up into a tiny smirk.

My entire body went numb. Tears spilled down my cheeks.

“But you promised!” I squeaked in a faint voice. “You promised, Brianna!”

Brianna still had that smirk on her face, and it didn’t go away. I sobbed quietly as shuffled over to the seats.

“Acacia! How old are you?” Tigerlily asked.

“13!” I screamed angrily at her. Then I plonked down in the seat next to Harriet, still crying.

“Now, time to select our 3 brave male tributes!” Tigerlily smiled broadly. She picked out three slips of paper from the male bowl and read out the first one.

“Danie-“

“I volunteer!” shouted a voice. I jolted upwards in surprise. Here in District 7, where the word ‘tribute’ translated to ‘corpse', there were next to no volunteers. A boy ran forward, and I instantly recognized him as the boy who had hugged Summer earlier.

“Thomas, what the absolute hell are you doing?” Summer leapt up from her seat and shouted as the boy ran up onstage.

“My name is Thomas Ellis, and I am 17 years old.” Thomas said into the microphone. He ran over to the seats, where Summer was staring at him in disbelief.

“You crazy bastard.” Summer sighed, engulfing him in a hug.

“Next male tribute!” Tigerlily called. She opened up the next slip and read the name out loud.

“Mike Roberts!”

A tall, handsome looking boy emerged from the 18 year old section. With his tanned skin, mop of dusty brown hair, and his stunning green eyes, it was no wonder every pair of eyes turned to him. He made his way to the microphone, announced he was 18, then sat down next to Thomas.

“Now for our final tribute!” Tigerlily announced, already reading the final tributes name.

“Nick Ericson!”

A small boy walked out of the 14 year old section and walked onstage. He muttered that he was 14 into the microphone before sitting down next to Mike.

“Well, District 7, those are our tributes! Please give a round of applause for our tributes! Summer Clementine, Harriet Mains, Acacia McCartney, Thomas Ellis, Mike Roberts and Nick Ericson!”

As usual, no one cheered. And as usual, Tigerlily took no notice and led us into the Justice Building. I peered out the door one last time, catching a glimpse of Brianna. Her eyes locked with mine once more, and her mouth broke into a grin. My heart snapped.

Then the door slammed shut, and I was cut off from District 7.