District 5 Interviews

Universal POV

“Hello, Capitol, and welcome to the interviews!” Jakub Jollyman shrieked happily out to the crowd, his grin broad and wide.

“Tonight we will be interviewing our new set of tributes, who will be competing head to head in just a few short days! Are you excited, because I sure am!”

The crowd cheered and shouted, and some people whistled. Jakub grinned his disturbing Cheshire cat smile once more and then sat down in his chair, which was sitting opposite to 6 other seats. That was where the tributes would sit.

“Panem, please welcome the District 5 tributes! Dianna Barrett, Adele Green, Gabriella Donnelly, Travis Bates, Marc Duncan and Toby Haynes!”

The crowd screamed in delight as the tributes appeared onstage, grinning and waving out to the crowd. Dianna wore a pretty blue sundress with a single strap, with pale blue’s and slight greenish tints in the fabric, almost like an ocean. Her hair was pulled up into a messy bun, and was adorned with a single blue flower. Adele had on a long orange dress. It was strapless, and the bodice was covered in tiny little roses. Her hair had been curled and now fell down her back in soft waves. Gabriella looked a little more casual than the other girls, she had on a simple white dress with little blue flowers on it, and her hair was done up in a simple side braid.

Travis wore a smart looking tuxedo, and his short hair was combed back. Marc followed in a white collared shirt, with long sleeves and plain black pants. Toby had on navy pants, a white shirt, and a vest over the top. The six tributes sat down, prepared for Jakub’s questions.

“Let’s start with Dianna!” Jakub grinned. Dianna smiled as her name was called.

“So Dianna, how good do you think your chances of getting into the Ultimate Games are?”

“Hmm…” Dianna pondered the question with a small frown, tucking a stray bit of hair behind her ear as she did so. “I guess, if you are speaking logically, since 8 is one third of 24, my odds would be 1 out of 3. But in terms of how good I am compared to the other tributes, well, I reckon my chances are a bit slimmer.”

“But you came second in your district, doesn’t that count for something?” Jakub questioned, leaning forward slightly. “I mean, surely, you have a better chance than some others?”

Dianna shrugged. “I have a better chance than some people, yes, but the competition to get high in the ranks isn’t very tough in my District. What earns me second place in District 5 would probably earn me 6th in District 1, you see? It’s not necessarily about the rankings, the stronger the people from your district are, the more impressive a high rank is.”

“Interesting.” Jakub smiled. “Very interesting. Let’s move onto Adele.”