Game 3, Day 3 (Afternoon)

Santana Higgins POV

"Someone needs to go hunting."

I glanced up from sharpening my knife at Rudy's voice, cocking my head to the side.

"Have we run out of food already?" Camille sighed in exasperation, moving over to the packs. Rudy shrugged.

"We have two more mouths to feed now," he explained, gesturing towards Misty and I. Misty glanced over at me, and I made a face at her. Her lip curled and she looked away, a sour look on her face.

"I'll go," Chris offered, standing to his feet, "Anyone wanna join?"

Perfect.

"Ah, why not," I said airily, jumping up to a standing position. I twisted my dagger in my grip, my thumb sliding along the thin, sharp blade. Excitement coursed through my veins. This was the perfect opportunity.

Sorry, Chris.

"Let's go, c'mon." I said, tapping Chris on the shoulder. Rudy waved us away, nodding slightly.

"Um, maybe I should go too," Misty spoke up, hesitantly. I rolled my eyes. Man, was this bitch determined.

"I think we're good," I simpered sarcastically, although I wanted to reach over and strangle the life out of her I restrained myself. I couldn't attack now.

"It's not safe, I don't think," Misty pressed. Her eyes were narrowed now. She thought I was up to something.

Hm. So there was a brain rattling about in her skull, it seemed.

"Although I'm flattered by your concern," I drawled, "I doubt we will have anything to worry about. You can chill, dude."

Misty tightened her jaw, an angered look on her face. Then she sighed and shuffled back.

"Be back soon," she mumbled. I smiled at her, sickeningly sweet, before looping my arm through Chris' and jogging into the forest.

We walked for a good 20 minutes, looking around for food. Chris took me over to a few traps he and Doug set up earlier, and we took down three rabbits that had become entangled in it. We collected a few berries as well, and the whole time my heart was pounding in my ribcage. I had to lull him into a false sense of security. If he had any idea of what I was planning, he'd bolt back to the others with his tail between his legs.

No, I had to make him trust me.

"I think we should head back now."

Still crouched by a strawberry plant, I glanced up at Chris with my eyebrows raised. "Huh?"

"We've gotten more food. And I doubt the games will go further than four days, we have more than enough to survive another day."

Shit.

"I don't want to go yet." I said firmly. Chris tilted his head to the side.

"Why?"

"I just..." I struggled for a few moments, trying to think of a response, "Don't. Something doesn't feel right."

"It's fine, you're just paranoid," Chris shrugged me off. He began to walk past me, closer to the camp, and my heart began to quicken.

"No!" I dived in front of him, blocking his path, "We can't leave yet."

"What the fuck, Santana?" Chris asked shakily, letting out some small, nervous laughter, "Are you pranking me or something?"

"No," I scoffed, "Why would I be pranking you?" Behind my back I pulled out my knife from its sheath, tracing the blade with my thumb. Adrenaline coursed through my veins.