Betrayal Of Kin

Antonius Murphy POV

I stood at the window, my hands held behind his back as I stared down at the Capitol. The city was abuzz, filled with excitement at the conclusion of the Ultimate Games. Camille Garza had left the city and was now living in her own district, in peace, but the city was still excited, still hooked on the euphoria of the games.

"Greetings, President."

I turned to the doors, my eyes wide in surprise at who was at the door.

"Nathaniel?"

Nathaniel Snow smiled and walked into the room, his grin coy. He sat down at a chair, then folded his hands in his lap and smiled at me.

"Hello," he said, "Murderer."

I stiffened.

"What are you-"

"Don't play dumb, Murphy," Nathaniel snapped, all pretense of pleasant conversation gone, "I know you murdered my father. I know you murdered him so you could become President. And I know you did it because at the time," he shrugged, "I was simply too young to take the position. I'm not stupid."

I blinked at Nathaniel. He smiled at me again.

"If this got out," Nathaniel blew air between his teeth, "What a scandal that would be. Wouldn't want that, would we? You see, dear Antonius, I just turned 18." He shot me another grin, "Which means I'm eligible for the position."

"What do you want, Nathaniel?" I asked tiredly. Nathaniel smiled at me.

"You'll never know."

Universal POV

"Shocking news in Panem today, as President Antonius Murphy was found murdered in his home in the Capitol. Murphy was killed with a single gunshot wound to the heart, and authorities are baffled and still looking for clues.

Nathaniel Snow, son of the late president Leopold Snow, has now ascended to the position of President, despite being only 18 years old. Nathaniel is the now late Murphy's first cousin once removed and, as far as we know, his only living kin."

The screen suddenly switched to a live shot of Nathaniel Snow, smiling out to the crowd and waving slightly. A ghost of a smirk was playing on his lips, and he had a power-hungry look in his eyes.

"There will be a ceremony tomorrow evening to commemorate this new crowning, and we expect all Capitol citizens of importance to attend. Goodbye, Panem!"