District 3 Interviews

Universal POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Welcome back, Panem! I am your host, Jakub Jollyman!” Jakub screamed. He grinned wickedly at the camera before continuing.

“We will be interviewing District 3 now, so make sure to keep watching! Here we have Charlotte Brown, Arwin Yates, Ramona McMarthy, Chase McKinney, Eugene Daniels and Luke Hodges!”

The audience applauded as the tributes entered onstage. Charlotte wore a long summery maxi dress which matched perfectly with the small yellow flower in her hair. Arwin wore a small rose pink dress, which hugely complimented her innocent looking appearance. Ramona donned a short red dress with roses laced across the bodice which complimented her long legs. Chase wore a tuxedo, as did Eugene and Luke. However, each of them wore different colours.

“Hello, tributes! Now, I’m going to start with Charlotte. Are you and Eugene-“

“Before you start saying some bullshit about us dating, we are not and we never will.” Charlotte spat. Eugene visibly cringed.

Jakub frowned. “What about the hug, though?”

“It was a dare.” Charlotte seethed, saying the words as if they were poison. “From Luke.”

Jakub made a face. “Okaaaaaay, then. Onto Arwin!”

Arwin smiled sweetly as Jakub turned to her.

“So Arwin, what do you think of the Capitol?”

“I think it’s a very beautiful place. If I won I would love to come back here.” Arwin smiled brightly. The crowd began to cheer, and Arwin’s smile grew.

“Now, Arwin,” Jakub said, his voice turning serious. “We all caught our breath at the reapings when you volunteered for your sister. It was very brave of you. Why did you volunteer, despite knowing that you would be up against a formidable bunch of competitors?”

“Because I love her.” Arwin replied simply. The crowd smiled and ‘aww’ed. Arwin tucked a piece of short blonde hair behind her ear and gave a tiny smile. Jakub continued to ask Arwin questions, and Arwin continued to reply with a simple answer. After a while, Jakub finally turned to Ramona.

“Ramona, now, you have a younger sister, correct?”

Ramona stiffened. “Yes…” she said slowly.

“What’s her name?” Jakub asked.

“Bailey.” Ramona said. As she spoke, a small smile spread across her face.

“What would you do for Bailey? How much do you love her?” Jakub pressed. Ramona frowned.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, nothing. Just curious.”

Ramona pressed her lips together. “I’d swim an ocean. I’d climb a mountain. I’d rather die than see her hurt.”

Jakub smiled. “Alright. Onto Chase.”

Chase smiled charmingly, his hands entwined with Ramona’s.

“So Chase, what do you think you offer sponsors that others do not?”

Chase shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m a human. I have flaws. I can’t try and pretend I’m perfect, because I’m not. It’s probably what will get me killed.”

Jakub frowned. “How so?”

“Well, that’s what the games are about, correct? Once someone knows of your flaws, your weaknesses, there’s nothing stopping them from using that flaw to completely and utterly wreck you. To guarantee your no longer a threat, or worse, not even alive anymore.”

Jakub nodded. “Very true. Now, I don’t mean to pry, but what is the deal with you and Ramona? Were you dating before the reaping? After? Was it a dare?” He grinned, the last one obviously a teasing stab at Charlotte. Charlotte scowled, but remained silent.

“We were actually dating a couple months before the reaping. Being reaped is unfortunate, but our love has remained strong.”

“Wonderful to hear!” Jakub screamed.

He now turned to Eugene.

“Now Eugene, I’d ask about you and Charlotte, but I’m pretty sure Charlotte would kill me.” Jakub laughed, the last part of his sentence dripping with sarcasm.

The audience laughed loudly. Charlotte leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms, an extremely annoyed expression on her face.

Eugene chuckled. “Probably.”

The audience burst into laughter once more. Charlotte scowled angrily, looking about ready to grab a spear and skewer them both like a human kebab.

Jakub smiled back at Eugene. “Alright, alright, Charlotte. So, Eugene, what is your preferred weapon? Anything you’ll be looking for at the Cornucopia?”

Eugene shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m not a very good fighter.”

Jakub nodded. “Alright. Now onto Luke.”

Luke smiled nervously as Jakub turned to him.

“So Luke, how are you liking the Capitol?”

“It’s OK. You know, when you ignore the fact that you’re about to die.” Luke said. His eyes flitted around nervously, as if he’d just said something absolutely despicable.

“Well, you don’t know that you’re going to die. For all we know, you could make it to the Ultimate Games!”

Luke shook his head. “I-I don’t think so.”

Jakub frowned. “Why ever not?”

Luke looked to be on the verge of tears. “B-Because I’m not smart like Arwin or Aria. I’m not strong like Emmett or Honour. I’m not good-looking like Fern or Hunter. I’m just…. Plain old Luke.”

Jakub opened his mouth to speak, but Luke continued.

“Sponsors only see what’s on the outside. If you look weak, if you’re not attractive, if you’re maybe not as smart as some of the tributes here, they just skim over you. Just completely discard you. Assume you’re worthless. It sucks, but…. It’s just how it unfolds. Nothing you can do to change it.”

The audience was silent for a few moments. Luke wrung his hands together, looking down at his shoes. Jakub, for once, couldn’t find anything to say in reply. The buzzer broke the awkward silence, and Jakub immediately went back to his normal self.

“Well, wasn’t that a great interview, huh folks! Next we will be interviewing District 4! So make sure to stay tuned, you wouldn’t want to miss this!”