Game 3, Day 2 (Morning)

Camille Garza POV

I groaned and opened my eyes, huddled up and shivering in my sleeping bag. I let my head hang with a sigh, my nose pressing into the cold, moist dirt, before I shuffled and rose to a sitting position. I sniffed and wiped my face with my hands before shuffling in my sleeping bag closer to the campfire, which had been burnt out and was now nothing but ash and a little bit of smoke. The cold bit at my cheeks as I reached over for my pack, and I pulled out a lighter. My fingers shook from the cold as I leaned forward, lighting the logs on fire once more. As soon as I got a steady fire going I sighed in content, holding my hands out in front of me for warmth. It was risky, but I'd take my chances with Valentina and her gang rather than hypothermia.

"Hey,"
I glanced over at the sleeping bag beside me as Chris poked his head out, his hair ruffled and hanging over his eyes. I pressed my lips together and inclined my head towards the fire.
"I was cold."

He nodded, grunting as he moved to a sitting position. As he warmed his hands near the crackling flames, he glanced over at Doug and Rudy, who had been grudgingly forced to share a sleeping bag.
"We should get more food, we aren't exactly stocked up on it," he murmured.
"We still have the squirrel, we didn't quite finish it off,"
Chris shrugged and sighed, then squinted at the flames.

"Should we really have flames going right now? The arena will warm up anyway, plus it gives off our location."
Slowly, ever so slowly, I turned my head towards Chris, my eyes narrowed.
"Cut off our only source of warmth?"
"Uhm..." Chris sounded uncertain now, "Yes?"
"I am colder than a freaking glacier right now, Chris. Make any move to put out the fire and I will fucking murder you, I swear to god."
Chris laughed nervously, running a hand through his hair. "You're an oddball, Camille."
"I try."

Chris furrowed his brows and looked up at the sky. "Looks like the sun's rising."
He rose to his feet, kicking off the sleeping bag that was entangled around his feet, than he moved into the forest.
"Chris?" I called softly, struggling to my feet. I stood and jogged after him, and after a minute I found him at the treeline, staring at the horizon with a look of awe.

"C'mon, lets go back," I coaxed.
"No, wait," Chris said softly, "It's actually really pretty."
It was. The sun was a soft yellow, casting long shadows across the grass and the occasional tree. The sky that wasn't yellow from the sun was a soft baby blue, and in the distance were more trees that the sun was rising over. It had a very picturesque and peaceful appearance.
"Can we stay here a minute?"
I sat down in the grass, my fingers sweeping across the long blades and my face filled with wonder as sunlight shone down on us and the grasslands.
"Sure."

Eric Newton POV

I grabbed onto a piece of the cliff, my hands burning from getting repeatedly scraped, and hauled myself up onto the next ledge. I glanced down at Caitlin, who was a few metres below me, and climbed up to the next ledge. I looked upwards - the top of the cliff, and continued to climb.

The remainder of the rabbits Caitlin caught yesterday was wrapped up in a small, shitty piece of plastic, which I had strapped to my belt. It was rather unsafe, and a few times had nearly fallen off entirely. Other than Caitlin's knife, it was all we had. My hands reached the top of the cliff and I pulled myself up onto the grass, breathing a deep sigh of relief. I opened up what was left of the rabbit and began to eat, wincing at the odd taste. I was so used to the Capitol's crazy, rich meals, that other food seemed so bland and plain I wanted to throw up. Nevertheless, I ate it anyway.

"Good, I'm starving," I heard Caitlin grumble. I looked over at her as she hauled herself onto the cliff and walked over to where I was sitting, her eyes locked on the rabbit. She picked up a large piece and took a bite, then sunk to her knees and sat down.

"GET OUT! GET OUT!"
I leapt with a startled cry, my head snapping around to behind me. Beth was standing there, screaming and screaming and screaming.
And charging straight for us.
"Shit," I mumbled, quickly gathering up the food, "Caitlin, we gotta move,"
"GET BACK HERE!"
Caitlin leapt to her feet and grabbed her knife, then we ran. Beth's screams sounded behind us, almost taunting. She wouldn't kill us, right? She was messed up in the head, but she wasn't a killer.
Right?

Suddenly, Caitlin screamed beside me as she plummeted to the floor. Her knife hand twisted awkwardly on the ground, attempting to catch her fall, and Caitlin screamed as she landed on the knife. She struggled to her knees, pulling out the knife with a scream of pain, and that was when Beth attacked.

"CAITLIN!" I shouted. Beth grabbed Caitlin by the shoulders and flipped her onto her back, then grabbed her neck and began to throttle the girl. I picked up the knife Caitlin had discarded and staggered forward, swinging it downwards towards Beth. Beth shrieked as it tore through her sleeve, making blood seep through the thin fabric, then she tightened her grip on Caitlin's throat with one hand and punched at me with the other. Her fist crashed into my nose and I cried out in pain, staggering backwards.

Beth's hands were still locked around Caitlin's throat, her eyes wild and crazed as whatever memories from her past were flitting through her head. Caitlin screamed and writhed, punching Beth repeatedly in an attempt to unseat her. The punches didn't seem to have an effect on her, and she continued to strangle Caitlin. I ran forward once again and grabbed Beth around the torso, attempting to pull her off of Caitlin, but Beth simply jerked backwards and elbowed me in the chest, sending me flying backwards and landing painfully on the dirt.

Caitlin coughed and wheezed, and her attempts to punch Beth were faltering and failing. Finally, she went still.
BOOM!

No.

"GET OFF HER!" I screamed. I ran forward and pushed Beth off of Caitlin, water blurring my vision. I held onto Caitlin's knife with shaking hands and advanced towards Beth, rage flooding my senses. Beth snarled something unintelligible and then ran off into the trees, screaming something about her sister. I crawled over to Caitlin, and stared at her body. She was well and truly gone, Beth had suffocated her.

"I'm sorry!" I wailed. Tears sprung to my eyes and fell onto Caitlin's corpse as I sobbed over it, my fists curled into balls. "I'm sorry, I'm so fucking sorry, I should have stopped Beth."
Of course, Caitlin didn't answer, and this just made me more upset. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand, staring down at Caitlin's purple face and the red marks around her neck like a hangman's noose.
"This is my fault."

Tatiana Whiteman POV