District 11 Reaping

Renee Wolfe POV

"Jesus, how long does it take to braid your damn hair?" I exclaimed, walking over to Misty as she braided her long hair in the mirror. Misty smiled and turned to look at me, then purposely began to braid her hair even slower.

"Mistyyyyy," I groaned in annoyance.

"Reneeeee," she imitated, grinning at me. Misty finished off the braid and then jumped up, walking over to me, "When's Max coming over?"

I laughed, shoving my identical twin away slightly. "He said at around 12."

"Sooo...." Misty dragged out the word slowly, looking up at me with a mischievous grin on her face, "How are you two, anyway?"

"We're good, and we're also none of your business," I responded curtly. Misty rolled her eyes as I wandered over to the mirror.

"C'mon, spill," Misty pressed, raising her eyebrows at me.

"There's nothing to spill!" I insisted, adjusting my hair in the mirror.

"Except your guts."

"Misty!" I exclaimed, spinning around to see Misty with a cheeky grin on her face, cackling in laughter. I edged away from her slightly, laughing quietly. "Okay Satan, you can stop laughing now."

Misty chuckled and glanced at the clock, her eyebrows raised. "Ooh, 11:55. He'll be here soon."

Right on cue, a knock sounded from the front door. Misty wiggled her eyebrows at me and pointed to the door, making kissy faces. I rolled my eyes and opened the door to see Max, standing there in a clean white shirt and black pants. I grinned goofily and engulfed him in a hug.

"Hey," I murmured into his shoulder. Max laughed and pulled my away, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the couch in our living room. I giggled and sat down next to him, resting my head on his shoulder. Misty sat on the other couch, her long slender legs folded beneath her and her white reaping dress flowing out around her. She smirked as she observed the two of us, her mouth turned upwards in a grin.

"How the hell have you guys not kissed yet?"

Max laughed, shaking his head, "We don't feel the need to."

Misty rolled her eyes, "For god's sake Max, just kiss her already!"

Max didn't reply, just chuckled and shook his head gently. Misty got up from the couch and walked down the hallway, calling out for our father, and I sighed and leaned back on the sofa, tilting my head to see Max.

"You alright?"

Max gave me a tiny nod, but it didn't match his eyes.

Misty walked back down the hallway, looking slightly anxious. She looked at Max and I on the couch and shot me an apologetic smile.

"The reaping's in about an hour," She said, "We have to leave soon."

~

"Welcome, welcome!" Esme, the District 11 escort, trilled merrily. She grinned out to the crowd, showing off her pearly white teeth.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour! Now, as usual, ladies first!"

She waltzed over to the first glass bowl, the one with the female names on it. I gulped. In that bowl, there were 3 slips of paper with 'Renee Wolfe' printed on them. Esme pulled one out and walked over to the microphone. Then she opened it up and read out the name.

"Misty Wolfe!"

Oh god. God no. Please no.

Misty shuffled out of the crowd, her eyes wide and startled. Other people might have been expecting her to cry, but not me. I knew she wouldn't allow herself to show weakness. Misty staggered over to the microphone, staring out at the crowd with a horrified look on her face.

"I-I'm 14." She muttered. She walked over to the first of the 6 seats and sat down, shock still painted onto her face. My stomach twisted.

"Next girl!" Esme called out. She pulled another slip out and opened it up.

"Caitlin Sharp!"

A girl with light brown hair cropped in a bob stumbed towards the stage, looking disorientated and confused. She stood at the microphone and grabbed it rather violently, staring out at the crowd with narrowed eyes.

"Hmmmm...." She narrowed her eyes, "You're aaaall rather... ugly."

"Caitlin, just tell us your age." Esme said. Caitlin rolled her eyes dramatically and turned back to the crowd.

"Jeeeeeeez, what's up her butt?" she said to the crowd again, her eyes wide. When Esme made a tutting noise, Caitlin sighed dramatically and turned to the microphone.

"I'm fifteeeeeen," she drew out the word, her eyelids drooping as she spoke. Esme dashed forward before she lost consciousness and picked her up beneath the arms, dragging her to the chair next to Misty and sitting her down. Esme smoothed out her dress and shook her head, walking back to the microphone. She picked out another slip of paper from the glass bowl and opened it up.

"Renee Wolfe."

My heart stopped. I felt my fists clench at my sides. I wanted to scream, but no words came out. After what seemed like forever, I stepped out of the crowd and began to slowly walk towards the stage. I walked up the steps and came to a standstill at the microphone.

"I'm 14." I murmured softly. I walked over to the seats and sat down next to Caitlin, who reeked of alcohol and something else I couldn't identify. Misty glanced over at me, chewing her bottom lip anxiously. How had we both ended up getting reaped? It wasn't fair.

"Now, for the boys." Esme called out. She walked over to the second glass bowl and pulled out a name, walking back to the crowd and opening it up.

"Gr-"

"I VOLUNTEER!"

Everyone looked around, shocked. No one in District 11 volunteered. Ever. A boy with dark brown hair walked out of the crowd, and my heart stopped dead.

"MAX, NO!" I screamed. I leapt from my chair and, despite Misty's best efforts to stop me, I tore free from her grip and flew down the stairs, running towards Max.

"Max, go back, go back, you aren't volunteering!"

"I'm afraid it's too late, he has already volunteered." Esme called. I sobbed as Max and I were guided back onstage. He muttered that his name was Max Fisher and that he was 15 and then sat beside me, staring out at the crowd.

"Why did you volunteer?" I whispered.

"I had to." Was the only answer I got.

The next boy to be called up was Christopher Chambers, an 18 year old with dark brown hair and amber eyes. He shuffled over to the seats as the next name was called, 16 year old Jay Mann, who looked very bloodthirsty. Although he was thin and wiry, he had this look in his eyes that I knew would haunt my nightmares. Then he sat down, and Esme walked back to the front.

"Well District 11, here are your tributes! Misty Wolfe, Caitlin Sharp, Renee Wolfe, Max Fisher, Christopher Chambers and Jay Mann!"

The crowd cheered reluctantly, glaring Esme down with hatred. As usual, she didn't notice and grinned out at the crowd.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour!"