District 3 Reapings

Mia Yates POV

I walked with Arwin to the town square, my heart beating a million miles a minute. This was my last ever reaping, and I was praying that I wouldn't be picked. Under normal circumstances, it would be unlikely that I would emerge victorious. But looking at my crippled right leg and my crutches, my chances of surviving had been reduced to 0.

Arwin clutched my hand tightly, a look of terror on her face. This was her third reaping. Last year, Arwin had been reaped for the 199th Hunger Games, however her friend had volunteered for her because of a pact.

That same girl had died in the bloodbath.

I shook the thoughts from my head and limped into the 18 year old section.

Arwin looked like she was about to cry. I awkwardly tried to hug her, but my stupid crutches got in the way.

"Don't worry, Arwin." I said. "It's going to be fine, I promise. I'll get you after it's finished, alright?"

Arwin nodded stiffly, then shuffled off to the 14 year old section. I smiled after her. Her short blonde hair and rosy pink cheeks gave her an innocent appearance. She didn't look 14 either, everyone mistook her for a 12 year old.

I awkwardly stood between my friend Lea and another girl whose name I didn't know.

"Umm... good luck." Lea said. I nodded in thanks, then our escort, Emerald Fletcher, waltzed onstage. She had bright blue hair which was in a pixie cut. She had on a huge ballgown with cap sleeves, and as if that wasn't enough, the sleeves had massive spikes on them. Her heels were so tall it was a miracle she didn't fall down face first.

"Welcome, welcome!" she beamed. "Welcome to the reaping!"

I rolled my eyes. She said that like it was a good thing. Please.

"Let's get started with the girls!" Emerald trilled. She clickity-clacked her way to the girls bowl and picked out the first name. She unfolded it and paused for dramatic effect.

"Ramona McMarthy!"

A wail from the 12 year old section was heard as Ramona walked out of the 16 year old section. She was only a year below me in school, as her 17th birthday was in a few weeks.

A small girl who looked startlingly similar to Ramona shot out of the 12 year old section and ran after her, grabbing her by the arm.

"Don't go!" the girl wailed. Ramona's face contorted into one of pain, but she composed herself and gently shrugged off the younger girl.

"I'm sorry, Bee." Ramona replied sadly. She turned away and walked up the steps. The little girl who I could only assume was Ramona's younger sister began to sob. I could tell from looking at her that she was conflicted. She didn't want her sister to die, but neither did she, and it didn't look like anyone was eager to volunteer. Even though Ramona was well liked by everyone at school, everyone was too frightened to volunteer.

"I-I volunteer!" the little girl wailed.

Ramona turned around, her eyes wide. "No, Bailey. You are not volunteering. No way in hell."

"If she wants to..." Emerald began hesitantly. Big mistake. Ramona whirled on her, her eyes narrowed.

"Shut your mouth. My sister is not going into the games. No way."

Bailey began to cry even harder. After a few moments, her father picked her up and carried her away. Her screaming echoed in my ears, making me cringe.

"Uh, well..... How old are you?" Emerald asked Ramona. Ramona said she was 16 and marched to the seats, sitting down with a livid expression.

"Next girl!" Emerald smiled, trying to keep the ball rolling. She picked out another name and read it out loudly and clearly.