Prologue

President Antonius Murphy took to the stage, his eyes glittering maliciously. His cousin, President Leopold Snow had passed away several years ago, making him next in line for President.

Although Murphy had waited years for this position, his insides swirled with hatred as he thought of the 100th Hunger Games. Snow had concocted the cruelest Hunger Games yet. It had been the most widely watched Hunger Games in all 200 years it had been run. Murphy had sworn to make sure that the 200th games, his first Quarter Quell, would be even more spectacular.

"Welcome, citizens of Panem, to the official premiere of the 200th Hunger Games! We will announce the twist for this year's Quarter Quell, and then reaping's will be broadcast next week." Murphy said into the microphone. The Capitol citizens cheered loudly, their eyes hungry for entertainment. However, miles away, Murphy knew that the people of the districts were watching this on their televisions, dreading the next few weeks that would follow.

Murphy shook the thought from his head and beamed at the cameras.

"Now, time to reveal this years twist!"

He marched to the other side of the stage, where an Avox boy was holding a box filled with slips of paper, all filed in order of year. Murphy delicately picked up the piece marked as the 200th, wrinkling his nose in disgust at the boy. Murphy returned to the middle of the stage and unfolded the note.

He looked down at the paper, then began to speak into the microphone.

"We must never forget the past. The past builds our future, and to forget the past means to destroy the future. As a reminder that the past never goes away, this year will be a repeat of the 100th Hunger Games! 6 people will be reaped from each district! There will be four games this year! Three qualifying rounds, and one final game called 'The Ultimate Games!'. The first round will be Districts 1-4, the second round will be Districts 5-8, and the final qualifying round will be Districts 9-12. 8 victors will emerge from each game, and will face off in the Ultimate Games!"

The audience screamed with delight, clapping wildly. Some of them had only seen the 100th Games from old recordings, and weren't alive when the actual games had been on.

Miles away, the districts of Panem stared in horror at their television screens. Again?

How could this be happening?

Because of the Capitol. Because the Capitol were the ones pulling all the strings, and the ones responsible for thousands of deaths.