Training (Day 2)

Dianna Barrett POV

Breakfast was tense.

All 8 of us ate in awkward silence – the 6 tributes, our stylist and our mentor, Jasmine Collins. I had come late and ended up wedged between Adele and Travis. Toby sat across from me, his eyes flitting up to greet mine every-so-often. Finally, Jasmine cleared her throat.

“So, today you won’t be training for as long as you did yesterday. For most years of the Hunger Games, training lasts for 3 days but, since this year the Capitol is holding 4 separate games, they need to cut out some time to make sure they can get the Ultimate Games started before the next year begins.”

We all nodded in unison. I looked down, barely listening, as I poked at my grilled ham and cheese sandwich. The food wasn’t doing anything to help the sick feeling in my stomach, in fact it made it worse.

“Dianna?” Toby asked. I looked up at him. His eyebrows were furrowed, his forehead creased in worry. “Are you OK?”

I shrugged. “I’m not hungry.”

Without another word, I got out of my seat and began to walk for the door. I pushed it opened and walked outside, shutting it behind me. I walked down the hallway towards the elevator, sighing inwardly as my mind filled with thoughts. What if I failed? What if I wasn’t really good at anything? Sure, there was the agility station, I was pretty good at that, but what else? What else could I do?

Nothing, that’s what.

Kaylee Usdan POV

I sat outside the training centre, paranoia filling my mind as I waited for my turn for the assessment.

“Adele Green.” The mechanical voice sounded over the speaker. Adele sat up from her seat and walked towards the door. Geez, how long till it was finally my turn? I turned my attention to the sheet pinned on the wall beside me, showing the tribute order.

DISTRICT 5:

1. Toby Haynes

2. Marc Duncan

3. Travis Bates

4. Dianna Barrett

5. Gabriella Donnelly

6. Adele Green

DISTRICT 6:

7. Fred Griffith