Game 3, Day 4 (Morning)

Daphne Floyd POV

His voice was fading.

I chased it, my fingers stretched out before me. I could hear him, I knew it was him. It had to be him. It just had to be.

But... he was dead.

How could it be his voice?

"Daphne..." I heard him whisper. I cried out and ran forward, now sprinting away from the voice following me. It continued to tail me, taunting me, mocking me.

"It's your fault I died," it whispered, "Do you remember me, Daph?"

I sobbed, still running. Only I wasn't going anywhere. I was stationary, despite my legs pushing me forward.

"Remember that night, Daphne? Do you remember?"

"STOP!" I cried. I came to a halt, curling up into a pitiful ball on the ground, "I didn't know! I didn't know!"

"Yet you let me die," he said coldly, "You knew how I was treated at school, you knew what people thought of me, you knew how much it hurt, and yet you still turned around and told me to quit my bitching."

"I didn't say that," I whimpered pathetically.

"You might as well have."

I shivered, a cold flush passing over my body as his hands trailed along the top of my head. I looked up at him as he crouched down in front of me, a cold smirk on his face.

"What did people used to say about us, huh, Daphne? 'Sam and Daph, two peas in a pod'. That's all gone to shit, eh?"

I didn't reply.

Sam rolled his eyes and stared at me, his voice stabbing into my heart with every punctuated letter, "You killed me, Daph. You killed me."

"No I didn't." I whispered. Sam laughed.

"Mm hm, sure. Sure sure sure sure," Sam continued to ramble, rising to his feet. He walked around to behind me, and for a moment I thought he was gone. I let out a shaky breath, running my hands through my head. I heard his footsteps trail further and further away.

"Do you even think I'm real?" A very real and very close voice suddenly startled me out of my false sense of security. I jolted and looked up at Sam, terror in my eyes.

"I-I don't..."

"You don't know?" Sam asked mockingly, "I doubt you can even tell the difference anymore." He shook his head gently. "You know better than that, Daph. You know me. You killed me."

And with that, he walked away, leaving me to drown in my thoughts.

~

"DAPHNE!"

I jolted awake with a start, my eyes shooting open and my arms waving wildly. Tatiana stared back at me, her brow furrowed in confusion. I shook my head and rose to a sitting position, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"Are you okay?" Tatiana asked carefully. I nodded, coughing slightly and running a hand through my hair.

"Bad dream," I mumbled. Tatiana cocked her head at me, looking confused, but appeared to shrug it off and turned away, beginning to speak with Phillip. I rose to my feet, cracking my neck to the side and putting my knife in its scabbard along with the poisons. I turned to Amaya, who was staring at the spit with a look of boredom on her face.

"Hey, how much food do we have left?" I asked. Amaya sniffled and shrugged, letting out a sigh.

"Not much," she said, "We have some berries, but we finished off the rabbit."