Arc 2, Chapter 3: Old Habits Cut Deep (UPDATED)

Blake POV:

Jeez...the scars on him...

I move my hand over a specific one on his chest and feel him shiver and squirm. Not that kind of shiver, I know that much.

Blake: "I'm sorry. There's just...so many of them."

Reed: "It's fine. I just hate looking at them. Mom and Yang gave me those..."

Awww...seeing him cry is really pulling at my heart here. He doesn't deserve any of this.

I guess his jacket is more then just an article of clothing. It's his shield from the world.

Blake: "Don't cry Reed. Here, I'll get your jacket for you."

I grab it from the chair he kinda dropped it on and help him put it on. Once it's fully on he grips onto his chest tightly. I think he's trying to ground himself...that's good.

Blake: "There. Perfect."

I give him a smile and a pat on the shoulder, but even with him being able to see my hand and touch his shoulder, he still flinches...

Poor boy...

Reed: "Heh...thanks. I guess I never really got a chance to fully break down or have a moment to think my thoughts through. The two years I was away from home didn't really involve me thinking of home. In fact, besides Yang and Mom, I didn't think of them at all."

Blake: "That's understandable, but why those two specifically?"

Reed: "They were the main ones to hurt me. Training with Wail always involved them since those two have the worst memories. It's kinda just how it works..."

Hmm. Would there be a way to get around that? With the semblance being how it is, I guess not. Or maybe a way to make the memories not as vivid.

Yet again, I'm not the one wielding Wail. That belongs to my brother and Reed. It's up to him to figure it out. I'm just here to help outside of that training.

Reed: "Menagerie was nice. It seemed like there was a lot of friendly faces there. Had I not been on a mission for Ozpin and on a timer with Blace, I would've liked to stay."

Blake: "How about the weather? You wore the jacket, right?"

Reed: "Yeah. Even then, it was fine. A bit clammy but nothing I haven't felt."

Blake: "Heh. You should go there in the summer. Lots of people there are almost half naked due to the heat."

Reed: "I can only imagine..."

I'm no therapist, but I might have a method of actually helping Reed here. It may not work, which is why I'm not a therapist, but it doesn't hurt to try.

...that's a lie and I know it.

Blake: "I have an idea. Have you heard of exposure therapy?"

Reed: "Hm?"

Blake: "An example of exposure theory would be someone with a fear of spiders having a spider near them and trying to conquer their fear directly. We could do the same with your sisters. I'm not saying you're awfully terrified of them, you may or may not be, but it could be a nice way to get over this hurdle. You may have unlocked your own aura, but that doesn't mean you're done."

He starts rubbing his arm slowly while staring down at the ground. After an eternity, he finally says something.

Reed: "...you're probably right..."

He gets up and looks at the door, moving his hand from his pocket and going over to open it.

Blake: "Wait. One more thing."