𝟬𝟯𝟰. coda

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR !codaseason five / episode eight

coda
season five / episode eight

"He was a good man," Shepard told Johnathan, Daryl, and Rick as they walked back over

"He was a good man," Shepard told Johnathan, Daryl, and Rick as they walked back over. She looked from the floor and at the three men who stood in front of her and Licari. "He was attacked by rotters. Saw it go down."

"You're a damn good liar," Rick told Shepard, Johnathan nodding in agreement.

"We're hanging by a thread here." Shepard shook her head. "He was attacked by rotters. That's the story."

"You said the trade was a bad idea," Daryl stated. "What changed?"

"Lamson was our shot," Shepard replied. "So it's this or you do in guns blazing, right? You don't want that."

"If this is some bullshit you're spinning and things go south--" Daryl began.

Shepard cut him off. "I know. I know the good ones from the bad. Let us help you."

"What about you, big boy?" Johnathan asked, turning to Licari. "You wanna live? How much?"

Licari stared at him for a moment before he began talking. "Dawn's afraid she'll look weak in front of us. Thinks it'll tip things against her. Hell, it will. She'll see this trade as a rip-off if she thinks you took out one of our guys. So it's a good thing Lamson got aced by rotters."

Johnathan raised his eyebrows, turning to Rick and Daryl. Rick and Daryl nodded. "This plan isn't half bad," Johnathan admitted. "But if it doesn't work I'll start killing people in the hospital until I get Beth back."

Johnathan held Shepard's arm as they walked down the hospital hallways. Daryl held Licari. Johnathan's heart hammered in his chest as he looked through the glass of the double doors they were stopped at. He passed Shepard to someone else, his eyes burning at the sight of the all too familiar blonde. "Holster your weapons." A voice came through the officer's radios.