10

Yeji covered her mouth as she let out a satisfied burp. She just finished her Big Mac and fries and was now focused on the chicken nuggets in a box after washing her palate with a sip from her Coke.

"Let me summarize it," she said, glancing at Ryujin, who raised both of her eyebrows at her. The billionaire didn't get anything to eat so Yeji asked her to have another rundown of tonight's events instead to keep her occupied. "There will be some sort of photoshoot when we arrive, people will most likely stare at us for the entire time, I'm meeting your mother and grandmother, dinner's going to be out of this world, and then there's going to be a dance we don't have to participate in."

"Grandma highly suggests it but I always stayed back," Ryujin said, her eyes trailing down on the corner of Yeji's lips where a spot of barbecue sauce remained. She motioned to Yeji with her index finger about it and the architect immediately wiped it off with a tissue.

"Fuck. Did I just ruin my make-up?"

"You can reapply later."

Yeji nodded and took another nugget from the box. There were still two pieces left. "I'm gonna be honest with you. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fucking anxious right now."

Ryujin let out a stifled laugh. "You're wasting your energy worrying. As long as you're with me, there's nothing to worry about, Ms. Marshall."

"If you want to make this look legit, you should stop calling me in such a respectful manner."

"Fine, bitch."

Yeji's head snapped to a highly amused Ryujin but when she saw her laughing with her whisker dimples, the humorous disrespect was easily forgotten.

"You really don't want to mess with me tonight," Yeji said just as teasingly. "I could ruin your reputation in this ball with a single move."

Ryujin made a hissing sound, feigning a chill running down her spine. "My knees are trembling in fear."

"You know, you're really different when you're not being your professional self. I'm so used to you being strict and literally talking to me about nothing but work that I didn't expect you to still have this—I don't know—more carefree side," Yeji said in observation.

Ryujin couldn't tell when it changed either. She only allowed herself to be this relaxed when she was around her friends but since they walked out of the bubble tea shop that afternoon, her perception about Yeji shifted. She realized that the architect was one of the few people she felt comfortable with. Despite this recent discovery, Ryujin still reminded herself that she couldn't get too close, aware that she had a particular attachment to avoid.

"Yeah," Ryujin started, remembering Yeji's exact words she told her the night of Jinni's party, "I wouldn't get used to it, Yeddeong."

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

The car began to slow down and Ryujin instantly noticed how Yeji tensed up. Her catlike eyes were wide and hesitant as she looked through the window, seeing a horde of photographers on either side of a red carpet as they anticipated the attendees. She slightly jumped when she felt her phone vibrate against her lap. Mumbling something about Jaehyun, Yeji opened her purse and cursed when she noticed that it was already packed with the make-up the beauty experts gave her if she needed a retouch. She was grateful for it but she forgot to leave some space for her phone.

"Let me hold it for you," Ryujin said, apparently understanding the architect's dilemma.

Yeji had no choice but to hand over her phone, watching as Ryujin's slender fingers wrapped around its frame before shoving it down the inside pockets of her suit. "Don't blame me if it won't stop vibrating. You signed up for that."