52

Saying that she didn't have it easy in life was an understatement for Yeji.

Right after the incident regarding her father's tragic death, everything was practically taken away from her. If it wasn't for Minju and her friends, she was most probably spending the rest of her time decaying six feet below the ground already. Perseverance and fortitude were written on her DNA, allowing her to overcome every hardship that she was placed into.

However, there were still certain things that made her fall on her knees, and one of them happened to be Ryujin.

She sent countless messages, tried calling her whenever she had the time, and prayed every night for her return. All of her attempts were ignored. It made her wonder if Ryujin's letter even held any truth. It made her angry, because in what universe was desertion the act of loving? On the first days of Ryujin's absence, she kept reading the letters slowly, over and over again, until she had the curves of the billionaire's handwriting memorized, the phrases carved in her skull like a burning comet, taking the words to heart like a summer breeze. But even then, nothing could make her understand Ryujin's reasons for leaving without telling her.

The only clue that she had was her wrecked room and the damn letter. Nobody else knew where she was and Yuna, the only person that she could rely on, was nowhere to be found.

No matter how much she tried to not let it get to her, she couldn't help but feel hopeless. It was almost as if the universe suddenly decided to put her life in flames as a joke, just to test her and see how resilient she was after succeeding in surviving far too many times. Auclair Architects wasn't a friendly workplace anymore either. She didn't know when the environment changed around their office but she just knew that it was because of the grudge Arin was still holding against her. It was petty and Yeji didn't have the energy to think about it anymore, so she decided to just avoid everyone at work and finished her job. Minho would check up on her every once in a while and she appreciated him more than he would ever know. Aside from him, she only talked to her coworkers when necessary.

She realized that she should've done that a long time ago. She had less things to worry about now that she was isolating herself from everybody else.

Nevertheless, it still sucked coming to Auclairs. She had to wake up through her anguish and come to work as if her mind wasn't all over the place. Maintaining her focus was one thing. Delivering work the way she wanted it to was another. Recently, she had been getting a lot of revisions, ireful feedback from clients coming up to her left and right, complaints in papers being slammed on her desk from time to time. She knew she was doing what she could but she wasn't exactly in her best shape—her mind was a broken prisoner to Ryujin's sudden disappearance and she just couldn't stop thinking about her.

What hurt more was the idea that they were so close to being together. Although she didn't know the exact date when the billionaire composed the letter for her, the willingness to be with her was clear as daylight. Ryujin reached the point where she was no longer bound to her traumas, that she was prepared to finally be with her. But for some reason, she just had to vanish without explanation.

It hurt that they were both so in love, both ready to risk it all, and they still missed their chance.

Perhaps they were in one of the cold universes that Ryujin talked about. Maybe Yeji would do the same. Maybe she would just let her heart break in this universe, dread every morning to come, knowing that she would live the rest of her life without her Ryujin.

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

"Hey, have you seen my airpods?" Chaeryeong asked as soon as she came home one day.