14

"Hey, yeah, I'm still here at Ryujin's," Yeji said as she faced the windows of the billionaire's room, looking over her shoulder as she was mindlessly biting her lip while holding her phone against her ear. "I'll probably come home tomorrow."

"That's fine. It's raining heavily too. The road's going to be slippery even after it has stopped already."

"No, she's kind of sick and I'm already here so . . . I'm just going to make sure she doesn't die."

"Where's Amy?"

"I sent her home a while ago. It would be best if we minimize the people coming in contact with Ryujin to keep the virus—or whatever it is—from spreading."

There was a pause from Chaeryeong's end until she let out a soft sigh. "I'm surprised she let you stay."

"She didn't. She's asleep so she really can't say otherwise."

"Still getting mad at you over the smallest things?"

Since she started living with her younger sister, Yeji picked up a habit of telling Chaeryeong events in her life. She wanted to be more open with her, hoping that the younger would do the same so they would be more comfortable with each other. There was a huge interval between them growing up apart and Yeji was determined to fill in those gaps. Allowing Chaeryeong to get to know her in a deeper sense was the first strategy that she thought of, which was why she immediately told her about Ryujin's reserved behavior ever since the ball.

"Not exactly," Yeji said, writing her name with her index finger on the slightly fogged up glass. "I know she has a lot of things on her plate but she's never been this busy before. It's almost as if she's doing it on purpose and it's starting to get on my nerves how obvious she is."

"You can quit, you know?" Chaeryeong said and Yeji could nearly hear her smirking. "I mean, she's my best friend and I know that she can get pretty intense sometimes. If it's affecting you negatively, you have the choice to leave."

"That's the problem, Ryeong. I can't." Yeji turned around to look at Ryujin, examining her for a moment to see if she was actually asleep. "Even if she's a pain in the ass, I'm not going to deny the fact that she pays well—like, really well. Not to mention the other benefits I'm getting from working for her. I'm getting paid generously and everything's still free as long as I'm under her roof and I'm doing what she tells me to."

"I might have an idea why she's acting this way."

"What?"

"You might not see it but she's only doing that to keep you out. She knows what will happen if she lets you in."

"Yeah, because that certainly didn't make it more confusing than it already is."

"It's a pattern, Yeji."

"For what? The fucking Bermuda Triangle?"

"You treat her differently, you don't care about her superiority, you're as much of a headache to her as she is to you, you're drop-dead gorgeous, and unbelievably stubborn just like her—your personality is pretty much the perfect recipe for Saint's type."

Yeji closed her mouth that was hanging open due to her sister's statement and let out a snort. "You're kidding, right?"

"Yeah, no shit. Ryujin's entire brain is a maze built with towering walls that makes it difficult for everyone to understand her, including herself."

Yeji's mind wandered back to the hedge maze in Elizabeth's manor, where Ryujin brought her. It was the first time that she caught a glimpse of the Ryujin that was hidden behind the fortress that she built around herself. She was starting to get what Chaeryeong was saying now.