[49]

---

---

Much to Scarlett's dismay, she was in charge of keeping Miss Denby out of the Gatehouse and talking. With the help of Alfie, though. 

"Sit down," she ordered. 

"What? Why?" Alfie asked.

Scarlett smiled, "You've hurt your ankle, badly, okay? Cry, scream, whatever just make it believable."

Alfie nodded, sitting down and clutching his ankle. 

"Show time, bitch," Scarlett spoke, ringing the doorbell. 

Miss Denby answered, "Scarlett?"

Scarlett smiled, "Sorry to bother you, Miss. We were just on our way home and Alfie got attacked by a rabbit. I say attacked, he freaked out. Something about a phobia, he never really did get over losing his rabbit when he was younger."

"It surprised me is all. I think I've broken my ankle," Alfie interrupted. 

Miss Denby came out to them. 

Alfie let out sounds of pain as Miss Denby checked it. 

"It doesn't feel broken. It's probably just sprained. Do you think you can make it to the house?" Miss Denby asked. 

"He can't. Just between us, he's a bit of a wimp. He once scrapped his knee and screamed bloody murder and then swore he'd have to have it amputated," Scarlett told. 

"It hurts really bad," Alfie complained. 

Miss Denby went to grab some ice, only to be stopped by Alfie screaming in pain, calling her back. She came back.

They began inside. Scarlett rung the bell as they went. 

"What was that? Is someone there?"

Scarlett shrugged, "I must have leant on it while carrying Alfie. He doesn't look it but you have to admit, he's surprisingly heavy."

Scarlett spotted the others, Alfie helping to distract Miss Denby. She began asking for her help taking Alfie home, trying to convince her she wouldn't be able to do it on her own. 

"I have noodle arms, Alfie is too heavy for me to carry on my own. I know your busy but I would really appreciate this. I can help with something in return? If you need help setting up for a test or grading or whatever. I'm really good at it. I read fast."

Miss Denby nodded, "Fine. But understand this. The Gatehouse is out of bounds from now on. I will not tolerate trespassers."

"We understand. We wouldn't be here otherwise. Alfie's just a bit too clumsy for his own good," Scarlett replied. 

Miss Denby helped Alfie up, Scarlett taking the other side. They began back to Anubis House. 

---