[42]

---

---

Scarlett sat at the dining table, eating her breakfast as Amber shoved food in her bag for Alfie and Nina.

"Amber, what are you..." Eddie began to ask. 

"I get low blood sugar. And it's rude to stare," she responded. 

Mara walked into the kitchen, "Anyone seen Jerome this morning? Or Alfie?" 

"Alfie's sick," Scarlett lied as she got up to grab a coffee.

"Yeah, um, he's got Coco pocks," Amber added.

Scarlett rolled her eyes at Amber as Mara sent the girl a questioning look. 

"She means chicken pocks, Mara," Scarlett called, moving to sit back down with her now full mug. 

"Um, yeah, he's gone over to see the nurse. Better to get something like that checked out, really," Fabian told. 

"Yeah," Joy agreed. 

"And Jerome?"

"No idea where Jerome is," Joy informed. 

Eddie sat down, "Oh, I-I saw him last night. He left with his Uncle."

"Oh, what Uncle?" Mara asked. 

"Uncle David or Uncle Simon?" Scarlett spoke up.

"I don't know. Bizarre," Eddie answered. 

Scarlett shrugged, going back to her food. She was worried about Jerome, hoping that he really was with an uncle. She didn't know why he would be though, Poppy hadn't messaged her saying they were with some uncle. 

---

Sibuna sat around in the student lounge as Joy tried to navigate a safe path across the board for them and Fabian was updating them on the situation.

"So by sunset tomorrow, our time is up. Are we all for going down this evening and finishing this thing?" Fabian questioned. 

Scarlett nodded along with Amber and Patricia. 

"Joy?" Patricia spoke. 

"Right. Well, filming everything on this has really helped. There's a definite pattern to the guard's movements. I'm just trying to plot a safe path across," Joy informed. 

Amber stared at her, "And?"

"I'll get it. Don't worry. But tonights a little too soon. Sorry, after what happened last time, better to be safe," Joy revealed. 

"We're cutting this close," Fabian warned. 

Scarlett sighed, "She knows that Fabian, but Joy is only human and better to be safe than sorry."

Eddie walked up to the group, "All this whispering. A guy could develop a complex around here."

Everyone began to stumble over an excuse before they rushed off, leaving only Eddie and Scarlett. 

"Right," Eddie muttered before taking a seat opposite Scarlett. 

"We're not whispering about you. Don't worry," Scarlett comforted. 

"Well, what were you whispering about? Where did you guys all disappear to last night?" He asked. 

"It's not my thing to tell, Eddie, otherwise I would, I promise," she reassured. 

When he seemed disappointed by her answer she stood and moved to sit next to him. 

She took his hand in hers, "I know it probably feels shitty not knowing what's going on but trust me when I say that it's not worth dwelling over it. It's a personal thing and the person it's about doesn't want everyone knowing."

Eddie nodded. Scarlett sent him a small smile before leaning over and kissing his cheek, gently. She then leant against his shoulder. Eddie, however, still didn't believe her.

---

Fabian was walking through the halls of the school with Scarlett, informing her of the events of the previous night. Eddie had had a dream about Senkhara and almost been stamped too. They'd had the same dream and now Senkhara decided Eddie was on her list too. 

As they entered the classroom, Joy ran up to them, notebook in hand. 

"I've cracked it," she exclaimed. "The only bit I'm not quite sure of is the last guard. I didn't get any footage of him, but I've worked out the safest possible moves I can and, yeah, I'm confident."

Amber and Patricia were sat at the table nearest them, turning to face them as Joy spoke. 

Fabian tapped the notebook, "I have a good feeling about this."

"I have a sick feeling about this," Amber voiced. 

"Hey, Amber, think positive. In a few hours, we'll have Nina and Alfie back," Fabian scolded. 

"I never realized how much I'd miss Alfie," Scarlett admitted. 

"Oh, that's tragic. I have a little tear. Too bad you couldn't miss your boyfriend like that," Eddie complained as he walked into the room. 

"Ouch," Joy whispered. 

Fabian began ushering her away, "Leave them. Leave them."

Scarlett sighed before making her way to where Eddie was sulking.

"Listen, I know I've been all over the place recently, but I've had a lot of stuff on my mind, okay?" She informed. 

"Like, um, Alfie stuff?"

Scarlett laughed, "Are you serious? You're really jealous of me and Alfie?"

"No. Well, he was into Piper, so maybe you're just the next best thing since you're both alike," he insulted. 

Scarlett heard her friends gasp from the table behind them. 

"Okay first, Patricia is her twin, not me. We just happen to both care about school. Second, you're a dick. You really know how to make a girl feel special," she hissed. 

"Sorry, but you said, 'no secrets'. You said, 'let's share, 'cause that's what couples do.' I didn't know those rules only applied to me," he argued. 

Scarlett glared, "And I have told you everything I can since I already explained that it's not my secret to tell. How would you feel if I blabbed everything you told me to Amber because we're best friends and we don't keep secrets, huh?"

"What like you told everyone about my dad?" He retorted. 

"Fuck you, that was an accident," she seethed after a few seconds of recovery. She couldn't believe he was still using that against her.

She got up and stormed away, taking the seat next to Amber. 

Amber placed a hand on her back, "Don't worry, Scar, he'll see sense."

"I don't care anymore, he can be pissed off. I've tried my best. I can't do anything else," she huffed. 

The lesson soon started and when it ended Mr Sweet announced that the Jackal had won third place in the blogging competition.

He then went on to announce that the winner of the blogger of the year competition was Mara. 

"Hey, don't worry Joy, there's always next time," Scarlett encouraged. 

Word Count:
[1047]