[21]

---

---

It was the next day when Scarlett was placing her books back in her locker. Eddie approached his locker, which was opposite Scarlett's. She glanced at him before he addressed her. 

"Let me guess. Boobytrapped? I know you too well already."

He then opened his locker, stepping to the side. Nothing happened. 

"Oh. Unexpected," he spoke, confused. 

"Sorry to disappoint. Thing is, I don't play games with assholes," Scarlett replied, walking up next to him.

"What do you mean?"

"You owned up to that eyeball prank, and Sweetie totally let you off but when I do one thing wrong I'm copying out the periodic table a hundred times. Pretty easy being a bad boy when the teacher's your best friend," Scarlett 

"Sweetie and I are not friends," Eddie protested. 

"You really believe that, don't you?" Scarlett chuckled. "Aw, adorable."

"You see how adorable I can be when I prove you wrong. Besides, you're the nerd, Granger," Eddie argued. 

"Whatever," Scarlett muttered, rolling her eyes and walking away. 

She met up with Sibuna in the student lounge so they could discuss the riddles found the night before. 

"Okay, these are the riddles Nina found," Fabian announced, swiping through the pictures. 

"We think they're clues to the different chemicals we need to use. There are six funnels down the lion's mane, six of those, so one per snake," Nina elaborated. 

"The first one, the taste of the great bitter Lake, That's a real Lake in Egypt. The water's salty, so that makes it bitter," Fabian explained. 

"So the bitter taste is salt."

"Sodium chloride," Scarlett corrected. They sent her shocked looks. "Sweetie made me copy out the periodic table a hundred times after that algae incident. Besides, it's like year nine information."

"Okay, so we've got one. Only five to go," Nina spoke. 

"You know what we could do? We could bring samples of the chemicals up from the tunnels and try to identify them in the chemistry lab," Alfie suggested. 

"You came up with that while bouncing the ball. Really badly?" Fabian asked. 

"Yep."

---

Scarlett watched on in class as Alfie mixed some unknown chemicals, creating a pungent smell that made her gag and cover her nose. Victor came in as soon as Alfie's experiment had created an effect, something that made Scarlett raise her eyebrows. He was there far too quickly, it was suspicious. 

Later that day she spotted Patricia and Joy on a bench. She decided to greet them by lying across the pair, her head resting on the arm of the bench by Joy. 

"Hey guys," she greeted. 

"Hey, Scar," Joy spoke as Patricia pushed her off.

Scarlett sat up in between the pair. 

"Eddie practically begged me to punk him the other day. It was kind of undignified," Scarlett revealed. Joy and Patricia both sent her a look. 

"What?" 

She glanced between the two, confused. 

"Well, obviously he wants you to keep pranking him. He's loving the attention," Joy explained. "Shows you care."

"Pretty messed up," Scarlett muttered, folding her arms in frustration. 

"So if you both know the ground rules, What's the problem?" Joy questioned. 

"He gets to me. He knows I like him and he knows that makes me-"

"Human?"

"Okay, I'm offended anyone would think otherwise. I am very human, I cry at everything, and you know that" Scarlett argued. "But it's just, I-I've been through some shit with other boys and I don't exactly want it to get that messy again. No one likes messy and for some reason, that's all my life seems to be," she admitted. 

"Try chasing a boy who's still crazy about the girl he broke up with," Joy told, trying to lighten the mood slightly, knowing Scarlett was getting upset. 

"You gonna give up on it?" Patricia asked. 

"No, not yet," Joy answered. "And as for the whole messy thing, you're not messy, you're the biggest control freak I know."

"I am not a control freak," she defended. 

"Okay, maybe not a control freak, but you are super organised and on top of everything."

"Yeah, you make the rest of us look bad," Patricia joked. 

Scarlett laughed, hugging the pair. 

---

It was the next day in the computer room that Eddie decided to annoy Scarlett to death. Again. She wasn't in the best mood after the whole detention situation and the fact she was falling slightly behind in some classes because of the tunnel tasks.

"Come on, you're a goody-two-shoes with sprinkles on top. When you're not in school, You spend your free time blogging about it. It's sick," he mocked. 

"For fuck sake Eddie, sod off, I just want to get this article sent to Mara, I don't care if I'm a goodie-two-shoes," she exclaimed, standing up as she unplugged her memory stick. "My Mum pays a lot for this place, so excuse me for not wanting to get kicked out. Now, are you here to contribute, or are you just killing time until your teacher buddies clock out?"

"Chill out, Hermione," he spoke. 

"How about you fuck off, you absolute wa-"

"Come on. Let's get out of here before you run out of mean things to say to each other or Scarlett punches someone," Amber announced, moving to pull Scarlett away from Eddie. 

Scarlett glared at him, sticking her middle finger up at him, causing him to laugh. 

"You're an asshole, Jedward," she yelled through the door. 

"You're a nerd," he yelled back.

Word Count
[962]