[14]

---

---

Scarlett was up way too early the next morning. She quietly made her way downstairs with Patricia, Amber and Nina. She was met with Alfie sneaking around. He placed his hand up to stop them. Scarlett frowned. He then began doing hand signals, making them all stare at him, confused. 

He shushed them before they heard clanging in the kitchen. Scarlett rushed to hide while Amber stood there unsure on where to go. Scarlett grabbed her arm and dragged her to the side. 

"How did you get in here? And what are you doing creeping around? It's six am," Alfie interrogated. 

"Well, what are you doing creeping around?" Scarlett heard Poppy demand. 

"It's only Poppy," she mouthed. 

" I won't ask if you don't," Alfie whispered. 

"Deal," Poppy replied. 

Scarlett watched her creep into Jerome's room before she followed the others into the kitchen. 

Once in the tunnels, Fabian offered to go first. He got across successfully after almost falling and then it was Nina's turn. Everyone else got across, including Scarlett before Amber went. She managed it with a lot of screaming.

"Okay guys, and now the exciting part. Let's see what's down here," Nina spoke. 

"Well, this should be interesting. Considering what we've seen so far," Fabian voiced. 

"As long as it doesn't involve bugs," Amber told. 

"A giant rolling ball?" Patricia suggested. 

"Okay, Indiana Jones," Scarlett muttered. 

"Subterranean caverns," Alfie joked. 

They soon came to a dead-end and the group tried to push against it. 

"Well, it doesn't open," Scarlett concluded. 

"No, there's got to be something," Nina replied, knocking on it. 

---

"No one gets a dead-end," Alfie exclaimed.

"It can't be right. It just doesn't make sense," Fabian agreed. 

"None of it makes any sense," Amber spoke up. 

"We must have missed something. We need to look at the map," Nina informed. 

The group separated with Patricia and Scarlett meeting with Joy to go to their first newspaper meeting.  

"What's he doing here?" Scarlett questioned.

"Punishment for that little stunt he pulled with the chocolates," Ms Andrews informed. "Apparently he speaks French."

Eddie then replied with something French that Scarlett didn't understand. 

"Yes, I wanted something much harsher, but Mr Sweet insisted it would be better if we put his creative energies towards something more constructive," Ms Andrews explained.

"So I'm a reporter," Eddie finished. 

"Fun," Scarlett mumbled, sarcastically. 

"Is this all we have?" Ms Andrews questioned.

Scarlett leant forward towards Eddie. 

"You didn't rat me out?" She asked. 

"I don't rat people out. I'm not a snitch," he told, using the exact words she had a week earlier. He gave her a wink.

"Right, first things first. We need an editor," Mrs Andrews announced. 

"Me," Joy exclaimed. 

"Ah, Joy has nominated herself. Anybody else fancy putting their hat in the ring? Anyone at all? Well, it looks like it's going to have to be-" 

Mrs Andrews was interrupted by the door opening and Mara rushing in, a folder in her hand. 

"I'm sorry I'm late. I was gathering all the information I could on current affairs, as well as a little bit of information on our competitors," Mara explained. 

"Oh, Mara, we were just asking about nominations for the job of editor," Mrs Andrews informed. 

"Oh, yes, please, if it's not already taken," Mara responded. 

"Kind of is," Joy told. 

"Nonsense. This is a meritocracy," Mrs Andrews argued. 

"Where Superman lives?" Eddie asked as he shot up in his chair.

"No, you dumbass," Scarlett muttered as everyone sent him a pointed look. 

"You mean compete for the job?" Mara questioned. 

"Yes. The most impressive first article gets the editor's job," Mrs Andrews announced. 

Mara agreed but Joy was visibly annoyed. 

---

Scarlett shot awake in the middle of the night only to see the spirit she had been having a nightmare about standing over Nina's bed. She and Amber let out a scream at the sight. The spirit disappeared with a laugh. Scarlett winced as a pain shot through her wrist. 

"Amber, Scarlett," Nina exclaimed. 

She rushed to Amber as she moved her covers, revealing her ankle which now held the Mark of Anubis. 

"We're all cursed, aren't we?" Amber asked. 

"Scarlett?" Nina questioned. 

Scarlett held up her wrist, showing her Mark of Anubis. 

"This is just great," she muttered. "My mum is going to murder me for getting cursed."