[54]

---

---

Alfie, Patricia and Scarlett made their way to the crypt. Patricia had walked ahead of them all, leaving Scarlett and Alfie to walk side by side. They got halfway there when Patricia realised she'd forgotten the key. 

"You're fucking with me, right?" Scarlett asked, about to tackle the girl to the ground. 

Patricia confirmed she was not messing with her and Scarlett took every ounce of restraint she had and used it to not scream into the night. She was really at her wit's end at that point. She instead, sent her a smile that made Patricia think she was going to get murdered in her sleep, and turned around, making her way back to the house, the other two staying a metre or two behind her. 

Once there, they realised, they had to go back out, and there was no way to get there except the outside way, not after the cellar was padlocked shut. 

They arrived to realise the adults had beaten them back to the crypt and were trying to break down the door. 

"What are we meant to do now?" Scarlett muttered before Patricia grabbed her arm and dragged her away. They went all the way back to the house. Scarlett was about to ask why they had just done all that walking when Patricia asked for Alfie's phone. He gave it and Patricia hit it into the fire alarm. 

Patricia shot down their questions with a quick explanation of how the adults had to come to the house now the alarm was going off. 

Scarlett nodded, "That's a crime. I like."

They gathered downstairs near the door, waiting for the others. Willow came down freaking out and yelling. Victor came bounding in, pushing Trudy to the side and running upstairs. Scarlett watched in amusement, already knowing he was going straight to check on his precious bird. 

Mara came down after this, having watched the grown man run for a stuffed animal. Jerome spotted her and ran into the kitchen. Scarlett frowned at this before she heard Trudy yell after him. She suddenly had an idea, turning to Trudy and offering to get him. There was a way out the back. Trudy had no time to respond because Scarlett had already run off, Alfie and Patricia behind her.

They stopped in their tracks as Miss Denby appeared, "Where do you think you're going?"

"Jesus, you're like a jump scare," Scarlett muttered. 

"Well, I'm still waiting," Denby continued. "Where were you going?"

"My ears are very delicate, Miss, and the alarm could permanently deafen me," Alfie lied. 

Scarlett held back an eye roll, as the lie continued before Victor stopped the alarm and yelled about someone being punished. Scarlett sighed, moving back into the hall with the others. Scarlett stood beside Jerome, who was extra jumpy that day, bumping straight into her and causing the key she had taken from Patricia (as she no longer trusted her to remember it) to fall to the floor. Her eyes flickered to it and then to Victor before she grabbed it.