[56]

---

---

"Please say we're not going to get sacrificed in some freaky ritual to bring back Frobisher," Scarlett whispered to Patricia and Alfie. 

It was then that her phone vibrated, only for Miss Denby to confiscate them all. Patricia tried to argue but failed as it was cut short by banging in another room. She dismissed the sound as rats before she left the students alone in the room.

"I would hate to come face to face with one of those, they sound pretty big," Scarlett yelled, throwing herself down on the sofa with a huff.

"Okay, why are you being so rude? I mean, ruder than usual," Joy asked, turning to Scarlett and Patricia. Scarlett shrugged.

Jerome looked up from the book he was flicking through, "Guys, seriously, Joy, Scar and I need to do well at this, or we flunk history. Well, Scar's is chemistry. Goodbye, scholarship."

"Goodbye, school," Joy finished. 

Patricia scoffed, "Ha, Scar, fail? Yeah right."

"I flunked a paper in chemistry. They said I need extra credit to keep my scholarship and to boost my grade back up," Scarlett explained, eyes downcast, as she played with her hands.

"Okay, so you've been bribed," Patricia realised. 

Joy stood up, leaning closer to Patricia and Alfie, checking Jerome wasn't listening, "You know, sometimes I think your little hobby has messed with your heads."

She walked away, pulling Scarlett off the sofa and to the other side of the room.

"Not you, Scar, you were always crazy," Joy joked, patting her arm, desperate to lighten the mood. 

Scarlett snorted, "It's a gift."

They moved next to Jerome and began snooping around the area. 

Joy smiled, moving to face Scarlett, who was looking anywhere but at her, "I'm sorry about chemistry. I know how much stress your family puts on you when it comes to school and grades."

Scarlett shrugged, picking up a book and flicking through it. It was obvious to anyone who knew her that she was anxious. Sure, she knew it was probably some sort of trick the teachers were pulling but there was that small chance it was true. Maybe the whole stopping 'a great evil' caused her grade to slip, for her to miss something obvious and flunk. They needed KT, not them, so maybe she was failing. Maybe she really did mess up an exam. The maybe is what kept her there.

"Hey, Scar, it'll be fine. Eliza doesn't have to know. You boost your grade and she'll never know."

She nodded, still not looking  "I know. I just hate the reaction. The disappointment, 'try more, don't be lazy'. All that. My grandparents immigrated with nothing and now I have everything and I can't fuck it up."