~6~ Don't Cry Over Spilled Coffee

Once I arrive at the beach I go to the check-in tent and I grab a roster. I look down at the paper and I see a familiar name. I'm training Peyton Grace.

She and I used to work at the same coffee shop- well we still do, but we have different shifts so we don't see each other- it'll be nice to see her again.

When I finally make my way over to her, I admire her. She's busy cleaning her knee so she doesn't see me studying her. Her hair has grown longer, she's very tan, and she's had a major glow-up. The bathing suit is complimenting her hourglass figure.

I decide to go over and help her clean her bloody knee.

As I approach her, she seems taken aback by my presence. I asked her if she needed help and she shook her head, but I helped her anyways.

I started cleaning her knee and she kept squirming. I pointed it out to her and she whispered an apology to me and tried to sit still for the rest of the time. After I finished she muttered a thank you, then stood up.

"I was going to say we could do the tread test, but we may have to change plans since the salt water will burn your cut." As if she ignored the last part of my sentence, she walked right out into the water wincing a little bit, but she kept going. 

We got to the point where she couldn't reach, but I still could. I glanced at my apple watch and motioned for her to go. I started the clock and she treaded for two minutes. We took a break and then she treaded for five. She did flawlessly both times. She's a pretty strong swimmer. Well, it makes sense since she's in the advanced swimming section.

As she was drying off, I decided to tell her that she and I are going to have the same shifts again.

"So I thought I'd tell you that I'm going to have my old shifts back and I'll be training you on Thursday." I decide not to wait for her response and I just walk away. 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

My alarm rings loudly in my ear and I angrily shut it off. I debate getting up, but then I remember I have new shifts at the coffee shop and I have no choice, but to wake up. I skip breakfast and I brush my teeth and wash my face. I ruffle my hair a bit and I grab my apron and run out the door.

When I arrive at the coffee shop it's busy and Peyton is serving coffee to an older couple. She looks up at me before setting down the second cup of coffee. I go to the employee room and I set down my keys and wallet in my locker.

I walk back out and go behind the counter where a young lady -mid-twenties- was waiting for her order to be taken.

"Sorry about that, what can I get you?" I take out the notepad and hold on to it.

"I already ordered." She snaps at me. 

Peyton comes up behind me with an iced coffee in her hand and she calls out a name.

"Marley?"

The girl who just snapped at me comes back to the counter and grabs her coffee.

She leans over and whispers to Peyton, but I can hear her.

"Who's that guy? He's never been here when I've been coming, unless I've been missing something these past two years?"

"He used to work with me a few years ago, but then our manager split our shifts and made me take over the ones I have now, but Lauren and some other chick are gonna be working here so they gave Ace his old shift back." 

The girl supposedly named Marley nods her head, hugs Peyton, then walks out of the shop.

Another lady walks into the shop and before I get a chance to take her order the lady interrupts me.

"Where's Peyton?"

Peyton magically teleports to the register and speaks to the woman. No one seems to like me today. That's weird.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A couple of hours go by and there's no one in the shop. Peyton comes behind the counter where I'm standing and she sits on the marble countertop.

"This is the slow hour. We only get around three to five people around this time, but they tip well." I nod.

"Everyone seemed to know you and like you."

"It's called great service. Try it sometime."

Just as I was going to respond, the bell rings and a man walks in with a little girl. He orders a tall black coffee and the girl ordered a cold coffee with extra whip cream.  I go to hand the man his coffee, but it slips out of my hand and collides with the floor. The coffee is everywhere, the man is yelling at me, the little girl is trying to calm the man down, and Peyton is grabbing a new coffee for him.

"This is why you don't leave teenagers in charge. This is a despicable mess. I bet you two don't even know what that word means!"

I'm taken aback by his words.

"It's just a spilled cup of coffee." The girl whispers out. She kind of looks familiar, but I can't think of who she looks like.

"Sir, I'm so sorry this happened, but there is no reason for you to be this upset over a small incident. Everyone is fine and no one is hurt. I don't see what the big deal is. No need to get so worked up." Peyton chimes in.

I feel like Peyton's words weren't enough though. "Yeah, no need to cry over spilled coffee." 

The man scowled at me and before I knew it, a fist collided with my cheek. I hear Peyton gasp and slam down the wet rag.

Holy fudge that hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder how Ace is liking his old shifts.

I honestly kinda like this chapter.

Lmk if there are any typos! And lmk if this length is too long or too short or if it's just right. It'll help a lot. Thanks!

~Lia

Question of the chapter: favorite place to get doughnuts?