~42~ Graduation Preparation

Today is the day that I finally graduate from lifeguard training and I officially become a lifeguard. I was filled with nerves as I buzzed around my room, frantically searching for the new bathing suit and cover-up. 

Marley is sitting on my bed smiling as she texts someone on her phone, probably texting Kristian and Lauren is trying to help me find everything. "You checked your closet right?" "Yes."

Marley looks up from her phone for the first time she arrived and she pointed to the corner of my room where a white package sits, unopened. "Is it that?" I run over to the corner, tripping over my shirt and bras and I fell over to the chair, stubbing my toe on my desk chair, but I ignore the pain and rip open the package. I sink to the ground and cry tears of joy as I hold the bathing suit and coverup to my chest. "Don't cry!"

"I'm sorry, I'm trying not to. Marley, you're a fucking lifesaver!" I waddle over to the other side of my room and squeeze my best friend and she gasps for air. "I love you too, but I kind of want to live to be able to see you graduate." 

"Oh, right." I release my death grip on Marley's waist and I remove the bra from my ankle. 

Lauren claps her hands as she pushes me back into my walk-in closet. "Get changed, we'll hurry and clean up, then help you with your hair and makeup. You remembered to finish your buoy?"

"Obviously."

All the graduates get buoys that they're supposed to decorate, just like graduation caps. I wrapped it in silver glitter foam sheets and in gems, I wrote my name in cursive. Jacob thinks it's too much sparkle, but Marley, Lauren, my mom, and Maisey love it. Especially, Maisey, I mean everything sparkly is beautiful to her.

"Okay, hurry! Go change!" The second I'm fully in the closet, my door is slammed and locked and I hear yelling, things clamoring together, and shuffling outside the door. I don't think they're doing any good to my room. The last time I let them help me find something that was lost, my room was a complete disaster. Stains miraculously showed up on my carpet and one of my favorite bras got shredded up. How the hell does this even happen? Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened again, or worse.

I slide off my knee-length silk nightgown and I pull on the red bikini bottom and top, unrolling the straps and adjusting them to the right length. I take the matching red coverup out of the white package and pull it on top of my bathing suit. I go across the closet to look in the mirror and immediately fall in love with the coverup. It's a mix between silk and lace, I know it sounds horrible, but it actually looks really good. On the back, it reads 'Lifeguard' in bold white lettering.

The red against my olive skin looks phenomenal and after two and a half months of intense training, I have light abs and I was right about my calves being super defined after trudging through the sand because, holy shit, my calves look amazing. My arms are also toned, well more toned than usual. Training made me look good as hell.

I pound on the door, signifying my friends to release me and Marley unlocks the door, phone in her hand, ignoring my presence yet again. My room surprisingly isn't disastrous. Lauren shoves Marley out of the way and walks me to my vanity and sits me down while turning on the fluorescent lights that rim the vanity mirror. Marley turns off her phone finally and sets it on the other side of the room and she hands my primer to Lauren who focuses on my face. "Marley, tie her hair back."

"Or, better idea, to save time, I work on the hair while you do her makeup." Marley walks around to the back of my head and runs her fingers through my messy hair which is probably tangled. "Does it involve her hair getting in her face?"

"By the time you're done with her makeup, I should just be getting her hair untangled."

"It can't be that bad."