~38~ Middle School Relationship

"Okay, so you're going to step down like this, and," I look over at Peyton and she jumped from the top step into the sand and watched me slowly shuffle down the old wooden steps. "You're not allowed to do that."

"Why not? It's so much easier."

"Well, you could snap your ankle, and then you won't be able to save people from drowning because you'll be in pain."

"I'll suck it up."

"I'm sure you will, sweetheart." Her cheeks turn an unnatural shade of pink and she walks off, towards the ocean and I grab her wrist turning her towards me. "Nu-uh I don't think so, we're doing core training." She dramatically groans and follows me to her car.

During training season in the summer, the organization sets up certain days where certain groups go to the gym to do certain training. Yesterday, Peyton and I, and some other group were sent to do leg strength, now today's is core training, but the other group we were supposed to train with, cancelled, so it's just us two.

/\/\/\

The ride to the gym is fairly quiet, despite the faint music playing and the wind blowing into the car from the windows being rolled down.

"What are you going to do after training next week?"

"Start working." She looks over at me and she gives me this certain look like she knows she just pissed me off and she did it for entertainment.

"No shit, dickhead. I meant after training, while you're working. Are you going back to school or?"

"Ah, thanks for being specific. I'm taking a gap year so I won't be too busy and since the beach isn't very busy during the winter, I won't be here that often, I'll probably be at the coffee shop most of my time because fall and winter are my busiest seasons, especially fall. I'll also be watching Maisey."

I smile and return my focus to the scenery out the window. "Wow, it's kind of rude that I won't be seeing you at all this fall and winter." She lightly slaps my arm (it's more of a tap) and she grips the steering wheel giving me an angry laugh. "You little bitch."

"Your little bitch."

"Listen, Jacob, darling, sweetheart, I know you were trying to be cute and nice, but you're making our relationship sound like a middle school relationship when you act like that." I'm flabbergasted by that and I don't even try to hide my shocked reaction. What the hell am I supposed to say to that?

"How!?" I ask defensively.

"By making dumb remarks." I open my mouth to argue, but she opens the door and gets out of her Range Rover. We have been parked for a long ass time and I just noticed. 

I get out of the vehicle and follow her into the building. "This conversation is not finished."

"Really? Cause when I got out of the vehicle, I thought that was a pretty clear sign I was done with the conversation."

"I'm done with the conversation now. Sit back down. I'm sat." She scans her membership card and shoots me a death glare while I follow her to the room reserved for us. "And that's why."

"It was just a Tiktok reference!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hehe this couple together>>>>>>

lmk ab. typos and the length. thanks!

Question of the chapter: whales or dolphins?