~14~ Knots & Laughs

Tonight I have to babysit Maisey and I'm kind of excited. I'm in a good mood today so this will be great.

/\/\/\

As soon as I walk in the door, I see Jelly, on her knees on the couch, braiding someone's hair. Her precious blonde hair which is always neat is in the messiest, ugliest 'braid' of all time.

"Jelly! What happened to your hair?" I hang my tote bag on the bag rack and rush to the couch. Maisey is walking toward me with her hands out and Jacob peeks his eyes over the top of the couch.

Why is he sitting on the floor?

And why is my make-up headband on him?

"And Jacob, why are you wearing my headband?" It's kind of cute.

Jacob doesn't even have to answer because Maisey does it for me.

"Well, I wanted to have girl time earlier, but you weren't here yet so Jacob did it with me. He painted my nails and did my hair!" Her eyes were glowing with excitement and Jacob had a small smile on his face.

I bend down to Jelly's height and hold her tiny hands in mine and I whisper to her, "If you ever need anything you can call me. This would've been a great time to call me." I point to her hair and nails making her chuckle.

Jacob gets off the couch and walks over to us. As he walks over, he takes off the headband and ruffles his hair.

"Well, uh I wanted to do face masks with Maisey." He hands back the headband and runs his fingers through his hair again. I think Jacob was enjoying being pampered more than Maisey.

"Oh, well I can leave and you can get back to whatever you two were doing." I hand back the headband and Jacob takes it with a smile, our hands still lingering.

"I'm kind of tired so you and Jacob can hang out. Goodnight." Maisey starts up the stairs and I follow her.

"Let me fix your hair first because your hair looks a little knotted"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Peyton comes down the stairs while putting her hair in a ponytail

Peyton comes down the stairs while putting her hair in a ponytail. "Alright, I got her to b-" She doesn't get to finish her sentence before she misses a step and falls down the rest of the stairs with a small yelp. I get off the couch and run over to her crumbled body.

"Oh my god, Peyton! Are you okay?" I grab her hand and help pull her up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I got it," She removes her hand from my grasp. "I fall a lot. It's normal."

"That's not normal. Have you been screened for vertigo?" She gives me a questioning look. "What's that?"

Oh lord. 

"It's like this condition thing where you lose your balance a lot. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not good either. I only know what it is because my mom has it." She slowly nods her head and I can see a bruise slowly forming on the side of her head.

"I'll check it out. Do you want me to leave or do you want to do the face masks?" I smile widely at her. "We can do the face masks, but only if you're up for it." Wow man, way to play it cool.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Stay still." She says while holding my face still, trying to wipe off the mask. "I'm sorry! It tickles!" I try to move again, but she tightens her grip on my face, squishing my cheeks together.

"You know what, get on the counter." I get on the counter in the bathroom and she stands in between my legs and starts to gently rub the washcloth across my face. "It still tickles." She glares at me.

"I don't give a fuck, it makes it easier for me to reach your face." 

"Really? 'Cause, you're still on your tippy toes." She puts the cloth down in the sink and grips onto my thighs and she looks me in the eyes. I struggle to keep a straight face because her face looks funny with the green mask on her face. 

"You are getting on my last nerves. If you don't stop talking and moving, you're gonna do this on your own." I couldn't hold in my laughter anymore and I laugh. 

"What's so funny?" Her messy bun flops over to the side of her head making me laugh harder. Tears are streaming down my face at this point. She starts laughing nervously as she fixes her hair. "I don't get why you're laughing so hard." I try to explain myself, but every time I go to explain, I end up laughing harder.

Peyton is laughing along with me, but she's trying to hush me. "Shhh, you're gonna wake up Jelly." She says while trying to wipe the mask off my face. I tilt my head back to try and stop laughing and I end up hitting my head on the mirror making us both laugh even harder.

Peyton is laying on the ground laughing and holding her stomach. "Shut the fuck up." She says through laughs.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Jacob! Jacob stop. Pause it." Peyton is practically behind me at this point.

"It's not that bad it's just a movie. And it's not that scary." Her eyes go wide and she gestures toward the TV. "He just got decapitated! What do you mean it's not that scary!" I pause the movie to see that we have about fifteen minutes left. 

"Fine we can finish it, but I'm cold." Without thinking, I take off my hoodie and hand it to her and she just stares at me. I look down at my bare chest. "Nothing you haven't seen before." Her cheeks become a deep crimson and she puts on the hoodie and tries to hide her face.

I lean back on the couch and press play on the movie and another person gets decapitated. Peyton screeches and buries her face on the side of my arm. Instinctively, I wrap my arm around her and she cuddles closer, but I hear her breathing pick up. Do I make her nervous?

As soon as she calms down guess what jackass busts through my door. Kristian. "Ramey, what are you doing here?" He's panting and holding out a finger.

"You didn't hear? Where's Peyton?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is officially my favorite chapter!

lmk if there are any typos and if the length is okay. don't be scared to tell me. thanks!

~Lia

Question of the chapter: Favorite scary movie?