~26~ Apologies & Coffee

As I wipe down the table closest to the door, I look over and watch as Peyton pours the coffee into the cup and adds creamer and sugar. Her hair falls into her eyes and she tries to move it out of the way with her shoulder. Her hair always seems to be falling out of place.

"Are you going to keep daydreaming or are you going to finish wiping down that table?" I'm snapped out of my thoughts and Lauren is hovering over me. I finish wiping the table and I look over at Peyton one last time and she was already looking in this direction. Confusion and potential anger engulf her eyes. She snaps her head back towards the customer she's serving, no longer interested in what's happening across the room from her.

"Are you ever going to apologize to her or are you just going to keep fantasying about her?" Marley sits down across from Lauren.

"How do I apologize to her? I fucked up pretty badly." I fiddle with the thin cloth in my hands, trying not to look in Peyton's direction again. It's not as easy as it sounds. I can feel her eyes drilling into my back and if I look, she gives me this look like she's going to chop my head off or burn my hand with scolding hot coffee.

"Just tell the truth. She's typically understandable with honest people." Marley puts a reassuring hand on top of mine and I give her a weak smile. I hate it when people put their hands on top of mine.

Out of nowhere, Peyton brushes past me and stands beside me, flipping open her notepad giving her friends the fakest smile anyone has ever seen. Her eyes are overly scrunched and her beautiful white teeth are on display too much.

"Hey ladies, what can I get for ya?" Peyton just ignores my presence and it hurts like a bitch.

"Ace was just taking our orders." Lauren looks over and winks at me, trying to help Peyton give me recognition. 

"Well, I'm taking your order now. What do you want the usual?"

"Peyton, you can't just avoid me forever."

"Oh really? Because last time I checked, I was just a slut that you wanted nothing to do with." Afraid of gaining unneeded attention from customers, I just walk away and slam my wet cloth on the counter. 

I pretend to be doing something behind the counter when in reality I'm just trying to eavesdrop on the conversation happening between the friend group.

"You seriously should listen to his apology."

"Yeah, give him a shot."

"He called me a slut and claimed I was using him!"

"Just listen to his apology and if he still sounds like a dick, drop his ass."

"Why are you even talking to him anyways."

"At first we were forced, but we realized maybe he's not that bad."

Knowing Peyton forgot she was supposed to be taking their orders, I bring out the drink Marley always gets and I just give Lauren a muffin, even though I know she won't eat because she's on an excessively low-carb diet.

"Thanks, Ace." Both of the girls chime as they enjoy their treats. Well, Marley chugs her drink, and Lauren nibbles on the muffin, trying not to ruin her diet and trying to keep her lipstick fresh.

Peyton only scoffs and turns to assist another table.

"I told you I fucked up." The girls only nod and I just walk away too.

/\/\/\

It's slow hour and there's no one in the shop beside us so I try to talk to her and try to work out our problems.

"Peyton."

"What Ace?" She says coldly.

"Can we please talk?"

'About what, hm? Me being a slut?"

"Peyton, you were never a slut. I was just in a shitty mood and I took it out on you. I didn't mean to hurt you and to be honest, I have no clue why I did what I did. I was just mad and you were just there and my brain didn't process what I just did until I was punched in the face by Kristian and Mike." I mess with the hem of my shirt and Peyton grabs one of my hands.

"I didn't appreciate what you did to me. It really hurt me and everyone around us. Thank you for your apology. Jacob will continue to train me full-time, but you can still work here. There's going to be a huge party at my house tonight and you can come." I smile at her and I give her a hug which she was unprepared for.

"Oh god. It feels good to have you back. Even if it's partially." She gives me a small smile and walks over to the coffee machine and pours herself a cup of coffee.

An older couple walks into the coffee shop and they look happy to see Peyton. "Oh hello again, dear. I didn't know you worked here." Peyton's face flushes pink and she walks over to them.

Strange.

Maybe they're her grandparents, but weren't they the ones that offered her to continue the business?

"Yes, I do."

"Does that handsome young man also work here?" The husband chuckles, causing Peyton to laugh nervously.

"Uhm, no. he- he doesn't. What can I get for you?" She walks behind the counter and over to the machine. "Two small black coffees to go and two raspberry muffins. Also to-go."

She pours the coffee and I grab the muffins. "Would you like anything else?" I ask, gently handing them over to the couple. "No, thank you." Peyton hands them each their coffees and they smile lovingly at her. "I didn't quite catch your names." She says, calculating everything into to cash register. "I'm Gary and this is my wife, Marmalade, but she goes by Mary."

Marmalade. That's an interesting name.

"That's beautiful. I'm Peyton."

"Lovely meeting you, Peyton. How much will that be?"

"It's on the house. Come back anytime." Peyton smiles and they walk out of the shop with small 'thank you's.'

As if Peyton read my mind, she clarified what happened. "Jacob was messing around with me after training and those two walked by and thought we were a couple." I let out a silent 'oh' and she just nods, her hair falling into her face, again.

"Why don't you put your hair into a tighter bun so you don't have to keep pushing the hair out of your eyes?"

"It looks better like this." No sense in arguing with her.

"Okay, then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lmk ab typos and the length. thanks!

~lia

Question of the chapter: Tigers or lions?