No More Chances

"Now what?", Tamlin grumbles, his body slumped weakly against the tree. His green eyes had not left the spot where the Spring Court Manor had burned to a crisp just mere moments ago. His voice was low and strained.

"Now...we figure out where it is you will stay. Where it is you will heal, Tam", Lucien replies.

Tamlin says nothing, his eyes glued to the ashen rubble.

"But first, you need a meal and a wash. Desperately. In that order."

He finally scoffs, glancing up at him. "We both know there isn't one Fae in any Court of Prythian who would be willing to take me in. Not one. I've exhausted any alliances I've ever had."

Lucien runs a hand down his face. Shit, he's not wrong. There is nobody that would willingly open their doors to Tamlin, not even to save his life. Despite the fact he had put himself in harm's way spying on Hybern for the good of all of Prythian. Harsh, but...Faes aren't usually known for forgiveness or gratitude.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, the words were out of Lucien's mouth before he even realized it. "There is one. Me."

It only took a second for Lucien to cringe internally, knowing that Jurian and Vassa would not be happy at the idea. Not for one second. But, it's his home too, and he refuses to let a male in need 'rot', as Tamlin had mentioned a certain violet-eyed Fae male had spat at him. Just another thing for Lucien to hate Rhys for.

"You", Tamlin says blankly, the word hovering between a statement and a question.

"There are going to be strict rules, and you are to be respectful of my roommates. Every day we will come here and work on building you a new home, and we can help some Court members rebuild the village too. Time management. But you need to eat and take care of yourself. Also, I think helping your people rebuild will strengthen your ties to the Court again. It will not only be good for them, but for you too."

Tamlin stares at him like he had grown another two heads.

"I mean it, Tamlin. I'm really fucking trying here. I am your last lifeline. Your last chance. Your last option. You either take it or leave it, but if I leave here without you, I won't ever be coming back. That is not something I want to do, but if you are truly lost and truly that stone-hearted that you care about nothing and nobody, not even yourself or your court, then maybe you are too far gone and I'm simply the fool everyone thinks me to be for coming back here again."

He watches as Tamlin's gaze drops down to the ground again, and he can tell that he's weighing whether living with the Band of Exiles is worth the torture, or if death is a better option.

"You know...if Beron wasn't evil incarnate, and you had been born first, you would have made a good High Lord, Lucien."

Lucien blinks a few times, in shock. Was that a compliment?

"Thank you", he murmurs, nodding his head in appreciation. "Though I am sure despite his many many faults and flaws, Eris will be a better High Lord than Beron when the fucker finally dies."

"You mean when someone gets pissed enough to off him."

"Most likely Eris himself, yes."

"You're too forgiving to that asshole. He's tried to have you killed", he growls annoyedly.

Lucien notices the note of anger flash in Tamlin's eyes, and what he meant. 'He tried to have you /and Feyre/ killed'. God help him, the male still loves her.

"Yes, well he isn't the only one who's nearly killed me before", he responds pointedly.

Tamlin sighs and leans his head back against the tree again, the sun on his grief-ravaged face as he squints up at him. "I—"