Controlling the Uncontrollable

Rain comes down hard in the Spring Court. While it doesn't happen often, it's a relief when it does. Tamlin secretly loves thunderstorms; he can curl up with a book in the library and veg. It's the days he gives himself a break from High Lord duties unless there is something pressing that absolutely must be accomplished. Luckily for him, monsters despise the rain, so he has no doubt they'll be staying away from the border.

As he browses for a book, his thoughts wander to his houseguest. He has not seen her since last night and she didn't show up for breakfast, most likely opting to sleep in. He shakes his head, grumbling to himself, annoyed that he can't stop thinking about her.

Leaning his forehead against the bookshelf, he places his fists on either side of his head, frustrated with everything as a sigh escapes him. His hair cascades around his face as he tries to ground himself, his beast threatening to bubble to the surface from all he's been through. It's been happening more and more lately.

Before he can even realize it, he feels the tears running down his face and sees his vision blur, silent sobs escaping his throat. While he does not cry often, and even more rarely gives himself the freedom to, sometimes it simply escapes. Suddenly he feels a tugging on his wrists and looks up to see vines of ivy creeping up his forearms, little buds of pink roses blooming as they go. Scrunching his brow together, he quickly looks himself over. It's definitely not his power. Warmth spreads through him and comforts him as it always has, and he hears footsteps coming toward him.

He desperately wants to wipe any trace of upset from his face, but he can't, his arms bound to the bookcase.

"I didn't know you were going to be in here, High Lord", Briar says sweetly, coming around the corner. She is in her long teal nightgown, which is more green than blue, with her black hair pulled back in a ponytail, showing off her new pointy fae ears. He's struck by the simplistic beauty she has, even first thing in the morning.

"I told you to call me by my name, Lady Briar. Also, what is the meaning of this?", he asks, nodding to the vines.

A small smirk comes across her face before it fades, and she walks up to him. Her face softens as she notices the tear stains on his cheeks. Swallowing, she tentatively reaches up and brushes them away. Tamlin can't help but suck in a gasp at her tender touch and the tingles that follow, which warms him even more. He uses all the willpower he has not to lean into her hand.

"I was practicing with my projection power. I figure it would be best to learn how to control it. Why were you crying?"

"It's nothing."

"It's clearly not nothing."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay...I can respect that."

Closing her eyes, her brow knits and the vines fall away from his arms, disappearing into thin air. Tamlin rubs his face and turns to her, crossing his muscular arms, the size of his broad body towering over her. That muscular chest and abs for days...she does not balk away, instead raising her chin to meet his eyes.

"I didn't expect you to be in the library."

"Is it not my library?"

She blushes the most lovely shade of pink and he can't help but want to stroke over it, but he stops himself.

"It is...I—I just figured you have other...High Lord duties to attend to."

"Not on thunderstorm days. They are few and far between, so I take them as my days off. Most of the Hybern monsters can't handle rain anyway so the borders should be secure."

Briar nods slowly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sneak up on you. Honestly, I should not have used my powers on you but it's hard to know how to use them."