Shit Is Getting Real

Emerie sniffles and clings to Balthazar, stroking his sweat-dampened hair. "I can't believe you escaped. Oh, my gods..."

He looks at her weakly. "We have to warn the High Lord now. Their army is growing every day, and their plans...nearly half of the Illyrian camps are—are puppets."

Emerie's eyes harden slightly. "Bal, how do I know that it didn't work on you?"

"It didn't. I swear it. I—", he swallows hard. "My mother's side of the family are witches. Old age witches. But good ones. She was training me in spells since I was a child. I used a protection spell to protect me against black magic and it worked. I had to make it look like it didn't though. I'm sorry I lied to you before about the healing spell, it was one I already knew I just thought that if you knew maybe you'd be scared or you wouldn't want to be my mate."

Her expression softens and she cups his face. "Balthazar Lane...Nesta is a witch, silly. Nesta, the one who introduced me to you...the High Lady's sister, she was forged by the Cauldron and it not only gave her powers of the fae but powers of witches too. So is the other sister, Elain. They have scryed and such before. I am not afraid of you, Bal. I see your goodness. I see you."

He tears up and envelops her in a hug, brushing his nose against his neck to breathe in her scent. "This is going to be a huge war, Em. Bigger than Hybern. If you saw what I just saw—I don't know if we're going to survive this one."

"No. We are not going to think that way, okay? Hey, look at me", she demands, grasping his dirties face firmly but lovingly and looking into his equally hazel eyes. "I didn't come all this way and go through everything I went through, just to gain and lose my mate. I have faith in Prythian and I have faith in the Mother, that she won't let us lose. You are a warrior, we both are. I will fight side by side with you, Bal. And if we fall, we fall together." She looks down and grasps his hand in hers, interlacing their fingers.

A shaky breath escapes her. "I love you."

His eyes tear up, widening as he squeezes her hand. "I love you, Emerie Bardsley. With all of my soul."

She blushes and hugs him close.

He sighs. "I would never ask you not to fight, because you're a better warrior than me—my Valkyrie", he murmurs, kissing her hand. "But I can be a little protective of my mate, can't I? I can't help it. I will be terrified for you. I will have your back."

She smiles softly and nods. "I know. And I will have yours."

"Come, we need to let them know now. It's urgent."

Emerie nods and grabs his hand, pulling him up. He sways slightly on his feet, still weak from the abundance of magic that had run through his body. "Bal..."

"I'm fine. Just out of practice", he mumbles.

"You're too weak to fly right now."

"I'm f—"

"No. You are not. You can't fly right now. I'll walk to Nesta's home down the street. She can get in touch with Cassian or something. We'll figure it out. In the meantime, you should wash up, hm?"

"Em..."

"No arguments."

He sighs and looks at her wearily, but lovingly. "Alright."

"I'll be back soon."

Balthazar nods, his lips curving into a smile as she sheaths her dagger at her side. "That's my Valkyrie. Always prepared."

She grins cutely and rolls her eyes. "Clean yourself up, my handsome Oristian", she chuckles, taking her leave.

.