Rising From The Ashes

Briar sits on the edge of her bed, staring at the blank white vase on her nightstand, her eyes squinting with effort. She hears an amused scoff from the door as she whirls around.

Lucien leans against the archway, the picture of grace. His ruby red hair is partially tied up, and his golden metal eye whirrs softly as he grins. "What are you doing?"

She huffs and crosses her arms before sighing. "I was trying to project something on command."

"Ahh", he muses, going over to her. "I don't think it is so much commanding as it is a want or need. Certain types of magic refused to be forced. Like a stubborn teen. My flames can be like that, but they always come to my aid when I need them. You can't actually be forceful, you need to feel at one with them, as if they flow with you, not because of you. Like...intertwining vines. You work together.

Lucien waves a palm out gracefully and a roaring flame ignites within it, glowing softly, the burning heat of it upon her cheeks even yards away. He twirls his wrist around and it follows, twining around his wrist and fingers, coming back to rest in his palm. "See? No forceful effort, just...summoning it as if it's a good friend. It's a bit hard to describe, but I'm doing my best", he chuckles, closing his fingers into a fist as he snuffs out the flame.

"Wow", she breathes. "That was cool."

"Thanks." Lucien smiles and takes her in; pale green dress, hair down with a thin red floral wrap around the crown of her head, and cream-colored flats. "Phew, Tamlin is going to simply faint when he sees you. As much as you look good in other colors, I think pastels are your best. Goes with your complexion. Especially this green...he's going to go nuts."

Briar blushes deeply and tucks a piece of hair behind her arched ear. "You think so?"

"Oh, I know so", he smirks. "Plus, he has been stressed lately and emotions are running high...I think, no, I know...you calm him. I know you two aren't in any position to accept one another as mates, but that bond really helps to...tame him. I've never seen anything like it. He is more volatile by nature, but with you, he's softer. He checks himself more. It's a very good thing."

Briar smiles softly and looks out the window towards the gardens. "I think everyone deserves to be cared about. Even one person can make the difference."

Lucien glances down a bit. "I know. And I still feel bad about leaving without telling him. But I was in a lurch, it wasn't anything that was planned I—"

"I know, Lucien", she says softly, placing a hand on his arm.

"No. You don't." He takes a breath. "I explained to Tamlin, and he understood it. But it was the fact that I took so long to come back that what gets to him, and to me."

"You are making amends now. I've seen you working hard for the people here. Not only for the festival, but you've been helping with all the rebuilds, too I've heard. People make mistakes out of fear or whatever. It happens. What is important is how you make up for it."

Lucien looses a sigh and nods. "I know that. I hope it can make a difference to both the people of this Court and for Tamlin."

"It will. I know it will. Is Tamlin here?"

"He is finishing up breakfast. He decided not to wake you because you didn't get a lot of sleep last night."

Briar walks downstairs with him, Lucien folding his hands behind his back as he declines the stairs next to her; the perfect vision of a proper courtier.

Tamlin glances up as they walk into the dining room and his eyes widen a little as he gets up from his own seat, pulling one out for her. Lucien purposely fails to suppress a smirk as he glances toward him.