My Love

A group of mixed reactions ranging from pure elation—Elain—to pure questionable indifference—Rhys—stare back at Nesta as Cassian holds her hand, soothing it with his own.

"So, apparently your stares prevent you from hearing me correctly. I said I'm pregnant."

Feyre blinks and steps forward to her sister, throwing her arms around her. "Nesta, that's fantastic news. Wow. I-I didn't know you wanted children, at least not so soon but I'm so thrilled for you."

"Congrats, Cass", Rhys smiles a bit and nods at him.

Nesta hugs her back, her heart still sinking a bit. It was obvious that even Feyre didn't believe she could make a good mother. "Thanks", she replies flatter than intended. Elain rushes up and hugs her tightly, squealing softly in happiness.

"Oh Nesta, I'm so so happy! Nyx will have a little cousin to play with. And who knows, maybe one of these days Lucien and I will have some of our own too if the Mother blesses us."

Lucien turns red at the glances toward him; clearly, her family didn't know that they had gotten intimate the other day. Though, he supposes it's good that Elain keeps their privacy. "Agreed." He bows grandly at the wait to Nesta. "Congratulations, Lady."

Nesta chuckles lightly at Lucien's boldness and animation. She admires his genuineness. "Thanks, Lucien."

Azriel grins and pats her shoulder. "I'm elated for you, Nes. You will be a great mother."

That's all it took for Nesta to tear up, throwing her own arms around Azriel's waist. He tenses a bit, taken slightly aback for a second before a soft smile appears on his lips and he gently hugs her back.

"Thank you, Az", she chokes up. Cassian grins and inclines his head at Azriel, a secret understanding between them; Cassian extremely gracious at his brother's consistent kindness and encouragement towards his mate.

Something flickers in Feyre's eyes at the exchange and an expression of sadness passes across her features before disappearing. "He's right, Nesta. You will be. You've made such amazing strides to get yourself to a healthy place, and you can be the mother we never had to your children as I am to mine. And as Elain would be to hers. We deserved better. Now we can give them what we didn't have." She takes Nesta's hands and looks at her with understanding, watching a sole tear escape her big sister's eye before she brushes it away.

The small smile remains on her lips, but she becomes a bit dissociated. Nesta immediately realizes that she is mind-linking Rhys. Most likely scolding him or forcing him to tell her congrats. It's fine, she doesn't want his fake glee.

"It's alright, Feyre. But yes, we will show the next generation childhoods that most of us in this room truly never had." She knew it was a low jab at Rhys, being the only one to have a good childhood and a good mother, but as he was the most silent one here aside from the women who had backstabbed her a year ago, she found it necessary to let him know indirectly that she sees him still.

"We will", Feyre affirms softly, tossing Rhys a look.

Mor and Amren stand in the back of the room with wine glasses in their hands. "Congrats Nesta", Mor says with a too-bright smile, raising her glass. Amren follows suit with a less cheery sentiment.

It was almost too stressful to stand there and still get assessed by those who still don't like her, even if she is a part of their rag-tag family as they call it. She rubs a sore spot on her neck and Cassian frowns at them, his smile bordering on a sneer before turning his attention to Rhys, his eyes becoming stormy.

Nesta grips his arm gently, knowing that they could get out of hand fast. She wasn't quite in the mood for a brawl. Cassian looks down into her eyes, immediately seeing what their bittersweetness has done; it had tainted her true happiness, and not only them, but Rhys—Rhys, his brother is a part of that bitterness. Rhys—the man who had always scorned his mate and yet had knelt to her when she had saved Feyre and his son. Rhys—his brother whom he never voiced his distaste for when he made Cassian believe the things he did to Nesta back then helped when they only hurt.