Old Lies and New Revelations

Back at the Night Court, the Inner Circle takes up room in the main sitting area of the River House, all lounging around in their formal clothing. Mor is once again the center of attention as she rubs her arms uncomfortably. Azriel's arms are crossed, despite Gwyn linking one of her arms in his. Rhys and Feyre sitting on the edge of the sofa, looking more than a bit peeved. Cassian holds Nesta close and nuzzles her neck, unable to help himself even in the most serious of situations.

Eris had joined them, only upon the insistence of Rhys. Mor supposes it's time for the entire truth to come out, and for nothing else to be in between her and the rest of the family. She had told Eris that she would tell them, she just wishes that it hadn't come out during a Winter Court party. Unfortunately, Amber had parted from Mor, deciding it was best for her and Eris to speak with her family in private.

Eris glances at Mor, and she looks away, unable to make eye contact with him as he speaks first.

"Alright, I guess someone must speak first and I'll have to be the one to do this. It's not a secret that you all hate me for what you believe I did to Mor all of those years ago, and I have let it happen. I let it slide because I know that none of you knew the truth. Back then, it was imperative that nobody knows, especially since we were both trying to get out from under the whole thing."

Azriel growls at him but looks at Mor. "You let us all believe a lie for five hundred years. A lie that did not have to be kept from us."

Mor snaps then, unyielding and irritated. "Yes, it did. It did have to be kept from you. From all of you! I wanted to live my life the way I saw fit. I know that all of you take mate bonds seriously, I know that all of you had wanted one for years and to you, it's the best thing ever to be blessed by the mother in that way, even before you all knew you had mates. So not only did I not want to offend any of you by telling you that I had a mate that I didn't want, but also because as you now know, I was in the closet and very clearly not ready to come out of it. But no, Eris never hurt me, he helped me escape to taint myself with Cassian, and he didn't touch me when Keir dumped me there because if he had, I would have been forced to remain there under Beron's rules. Beron would have tied me to that fucking marriage bed if we had a mate bond scent. So that is why Eris couldn't get near me. But he did tell the guards to leave me in that clearing, where he knew that you would find me, Az."

Azriel's features soften a bit and he looks down, clearing his throat. Gwyn rubs small circles on one of his hands.

Eris looks at Rhys. "That is the truth. The real truth. Mor and I may be mates, but I was the only person who knew she preferred women. I only knew because she had to tell me why she didn't want to remain my mate. I accepted it. And, I speak for myself when I say this, but every time we had made fun of or spoke ill of or sneered at each other, it was an act. We had to pretend we hated each other to keep the truth from coming out. We couldn't be in close proximity to one another or the mate bond would have been scented. I know that you wouldn't have forced Mor to be with me, and you wouldn't let any harm come to her. But I had my own life to think of as well as Mor's. You all know how Beron is. If he knew I had a mate, and that it was the woman I was supposed to marry, he'd find a way to force it for politics. I can't have that getting in the way of myself becoming High Lord. He would use it against me. He would use it against you."

Rhys grumbles. "This is why he should have been ended years ago."

"You know I don't disagree. But despite his tendencies to harm his family and others, that's not seen by anybody else. Therefore we need a reason to rid Prythian of him. The moment something goes wrong, or he makes a wrong move to the detriment of this continent, I will have a reason."

"And you think you can take him out by yourself?"

"I think I have enough pent-up rage at my father to span centuries, Rhysand. You don't want to underestimate me."