New Beginnings

A loud newborn cry is heard throughout the Winter Court castle. Kallias drops to his knees in exaltation and relief, tears making their way down his pale face, his ice-blue eyes unable to tear away from the mother and child in the cot before him. The small bundle is placed in Viviane's arms as she cries with joy, her eyes quickly finding his as they share a moment of connection down their bond deeper than either has felt since he returned from Under the Mountain.

"I-it's a little girl", she weeps, cradling the baby close to her chest, her thumb grazing the soft and tender flesh of the newborn's cheek.

"As beautiful and lovely as her mother", he murmurs, pulling himself back onto his feet and carefully draping his arms around the pair, staring down at his daughter. "I'm sure she will be just as fierce as well."

Viviane looks back up at him as quieter tears drip from her own sharp blue eyes. Kallias strokes them away gently and leans in to place a soft and loving kiss to her lips. "I am the luckiest male alive, my love. You make me happier than I ever believed to be possible. Your care has graced me for centuries and I will always be grateful for that. I don't know how I ever got so lucky to have been destined to my best friend, but I promise you I won't take a single moment for granted."

A smile blooms on her face and she cups his cheek with her free hand. "Neither will I. I know the sadness of being without you for so long, mate bond or no. And I would do anything for that not to ever happen again. Plus, our little girl needs her father. You were always meant to be ours, Kal. I love you. We love you."

Their foreheads come together and for a moment they drink in each other's presence, nerves settling and yet simmering all at once. "I love you too. Both of you."

Kallias grins as he turns his attention to his baby girl. "Mother...she's so beautiful. Have we settled on the name? I think it's only fitting."

She strokes the baby's snow-white tuft of hair and nods, smiling sweetly. "Yes. Our sweet little Wynter. Perfect for an heir if the Mother doesn't plan for us to have others."

"Is it tempting fate if I pray she will have the same destiny as we had? Everything was so easy and comfortable with us. We knew each other fully before the bond even came into play. I...know it's extremely premature and maybe I'm worrying for the sake of worrying but I want her to have that sort of future. One filled with easygoing love and strength and power. I want her to be a force to be reckoned with, like you, my darling. But to have her mate in her corner, as I am for you, and you are for me."

Viviane grins at him and intertwines their fingers. "You are thinking ahead, as you always do. I admire that about you, Kal. Always have. I wish she has it better than the bumps we had to face. However, if she is our only heir, there are still many stigmas within Prythian that need to be eradicated, which is very slow-moving as we well know." She allows him to slip into the very edge of the cot and hold them close as she rests her head on his shoulder, watching her now dozing daughter.

He gives her hand a squeeze and lets out a slow breath. "I know. I'm sorry. It should not have taken us having a daughter for me to realize the wrongs we all see as usual. They shouldn't be. Not now, not still. Equal in power should also mean equal in title. I know a mere title doesn't change anything about you, but it matters for pretense. Especially in front of others. I'll fix it, Viv."

She gazes up at him, slightly surprised but kisses him fervently. "You will? Really?"

"Really. I am so sorry for taking part in the wrong part of Prythian's culture. We are so used to being set in our ways that change never comes easy, but out of all of the High Lords, it should not have been Rhysand to make this happen first. It should have been me...it should have been me, Viviane. The male who knew his mate since childhood and knew her powers and her strength and knew for centuries how equal she was to him in every way. I should have been the first to make you equal in title. I will always kick myself for not thinking anything of it. For making it a point of teasing instead of taking it seriously when you asked me the first time we met Feyre. It should have been me", he whispers. "I hope you'll forgive me. I don't deserve your forgiveness about this, but I will fix it as soon as you are feeling up to a celebration. We will make it official along with the announcement of our daughter. You deserve the respect of being my equal in title as well."