As Evil Spills In

"Move, move, move!" Balthazar barks at the Illyrians in the Southernmost camp. Windhaven had been compromised, but there were three camps left still untouched that he was determined to get to.

'Two down, one to go.' He had snuck back up to the camps, blending in as seamlessly as he could. Though the High Lord had given orders to the shadowsinger and the general to keep out of Illyria due to the Queens' magic, he had neglected to order Balthazar himself to not go back. He'll be damned if he lets whatever remains of free Illyrians to be taken by the evil seeping in from Koschei and the Queens now under his direction. He is determined to save his mother and as many innocents as he possibly can. Perhaps the High Lord would kill him for it, but he won't let them suffer by being brainless puppets. He won't forget about his people despite their flaws.

"Balthy", his mother murmurs, nearly breathless from the trek to the border of the camps where they had planned to fly from.

"Almost there, Mum", he mutters back, rearing up the back of the group of males, females, and children. "I have to concentrate."

"I know. I have a protection spell around us. It should extend to the entire group so we won't be spotted." Sweat gleams on her brow, tendrils of her dark hair sticking to her golden skin, wings drooping only slightly with exertion.

He glances over at her and blinks. "Mum...that will drain you."

"It's worth it, is it not? Three camps are better than saving none. Plus, I want to make it to this city of yours to meet your mate."

He huffs a soft chuckle and his mind drifts to the image of Emerie, his beautiful, strong Valkyrie. "I'm sure she will be happy to meet you. If the High Lord doesn't kill me for this."

"Well, I can't wait to meet the female who has made my son so happy lately. Even through this awful time, I have seen those smiles on your face when you've thought of her. Only love can do that to a male", she grins. "Plus...I am so proud of the male you have become, Balthy. You are someone worth admiring. I know many of these young Illyrians do so."

He blushes and glances sidelong at her. "Thanks, Mom.

They reach the edge of the camp about five minutes later and stop, Balthazar instructs them into groups of four each and tells them to follow himself and his mother into Velaris. He makes it very clear that if any of them causes trouble he will have no problem getting the High Lord to dump them back in the camps to try to defend themselves against the Queens and Koschei. Luckily, that straightens out even the most brutish Illyrian there.

He flies alongside his mother, making sure she is feeling good enough to keep flying, sweat trickling down her brow at the exertion of the protection spell as well as flying such a distance.

"I'm sorry, it's about a twenty-minute fly...will you be okay? If not I can carry you."

She looks over at him, wings beating hard in the soft current of wind. "I am fine, sweetie."

"Alright. But you better tell me if you don't feel well. It would be more trouble for you to fall out of the sky than for me to carry you", he says, raising a dark brow.

She laughs softly and nods. "Understood."

"What is that look?"

"Oh, nothing. I just can't help but think that perhaps you will be promoted to Lord sooner rather than later. Especially now that you've had personal conversations with the High Lord. Plus, what you are doing right now is very lord-like. People respect you."

"I am not going to bug him for a title. I don't need one to be able to do things for our people."

"Exactly why you deserve one."