Harping on the What-Ifs

(( Bonus Chapter due to the POV split in the last chapter))

.

Gwyn awakes with a start, gasping in shock as she seemingly feels herself land in the darkness of the Cauldron's plane of existence. As her eyes fly open, bright sunshine hits them, causing her to groan and shield them from the rays. That's when she hears a soft, and very familiar voice, then a soft, warm touch on her arm.

"Gwyn? Oh, darling. It's alright. It was just a dream."

Gwyn immediately puts her arm down and stares. Directly into the eyes of her mother.

"M-Mom?", her voice breaks.

"I'm right here, sweetheart", she says, stroking the red hair from Gwyn's face gently and smiling, stroking her freckles. "You fell asleep. Must have had a bad dream."

"No. No no no. This was the dream." Her heart lurches in her chest as she sits up a bit too quickly and looks around. They're at a beautiful grassy glen, at the edge of a sparkling stream that makes its way into a very deep and large watering hole, clear as crystal. The rushing of the waterfall is a dull roar in the distance. "This isn't real. I have to get back to save my father. Did I accidentally pluck another string by mistake? The harp must have brought me here."

Laughter comes from the water and she turns her head quickly. There, in the water, she sees another familiar face, a head of raven black hair, and glittering magenta-violet scales. Next to her is a male with his back turned, no tail, wading in the water, his long red hair darkened to a shade of auburn from being submerged.

"Catrin", Gwyn breathes out, tears springing to her eyes. "Mom", she chokes out again, looking back at her mother.

"Gwyn, what's wrong? You look absolutely terrified."

"I...", she breathes shakily and stares at the two figures relaxing in the water again. Suddenly, it dawns on her that it's him. Her father. With her sister. And her mother is here too—it was the harp. The string that can transport you to different realities was next to the one that death bends to.

Gwyn swallows hard but tries to compose herself. This could be good. She could get answers. And even better, she can see her entire family being happy together.

"Mom, do you love Dad?"

Her mother's teal eyes glimmer slightly, and she smiles, looking over at Eris. "Very very much."

Before she can stop herself, she throws her arms around Marina's neck and hugs her tightly, sniffling. "I love you. I love you so much, Mom."

"I love you too", she replies, stroking her hair. "Now, why don't you join your sister? Make sure she doesn't have the urge to sneak off and lure another boy with her singing?", she chuckles.

"You could swim with us too?"

"I could..."

"The priestesses aren't here. You don't have to be afraid of judgment."

Marina smiles and squeezes Gwyn's hand. "Your father says the same. That it's a part of me, and I should not be ashamed. But I was fairly wild as a child, and I had learned to suppress that as I got older to blend in more seamlessly with everyone else. Especially the High Fae. I suppose it's a habit by now. A mask of protection, if you will."

"Dad's right. He loves you for who you are. He doesn't care that you're half-nymph. He does not only love half of you."

She blushes slightly and looks at her hands.

"She's right you know." A male voice pipes up from next to them and they look up to see Eris. He smiles broadly and kneels on the blanket in front of Marina. "I fell in love with one hundred percent of who you are, Mar. I chose you. I love you. I love our girls."