Once Maimed, Now Thriving

Eris paces back and forth on the balcony, taking in the beautiful dawn as he had for the past couple of weeks, and breathing in the fresh air as the glow warms his face. His freckles have gotten significantly darker due to the sun here, whereas the Autumn Court is usually more overcast and cooler, and the sun is not nearly as impactful.

The Autumn Court. His home. One that gave him nothing but pain and horror from the moment he was born. And yet, he is still homesick. He wonders how Lucien survived so long being away from it. Clearly, he could not return, similar to Eris now. But that fact does not make staying away any easier. At least Lucien could have the ease of mind that he was there to tend to their mother. But now...she is on his mind all the time. With nobody there to speak up to or protect her from Beron, what is she doing? Does she truly believe him dead? Would she grieve for him?

He thinks she would. No...he knows she would. If anyone there would grieve him there, it would be his mother, despite all her flaws.

Letting out a deep sigh, a hand sneaks over his back and Nuan rests her head on his bicep. "Good morning."

He blushes and peers down at her, clad in nothing but her emerald green and very lacy nightgown that shows off many of her...assets. "Good morning", he replies, leaning down and pressing a light kiss to her lips. "You look stunning for having just woken up."

Nuan smiles and slips her metal hand into his, intertwining their fingers. "Oh, I've been up for a hot minute. My hair was a tangled mess. That's what I get for not using a silk pillowcase because I was lazy and forwent the stepstool since I couldn't reach the shelf."

Eris chuckles lightly. "Well, I think you would look lovely even with disheveled hair. You're...

Gorgeous. Stunning. Beautiful?

"...breathtaking."

"That's quite the compliment. Possibly too big."

"Never too big", he replies, finding himself grinning at her as she smirks.

She reaches up with her natural hand and cups his cheek, dragging a thumb along his freckles. "That was one hell of a smile, Prince of Autumn."

He blushes and leans into her touch ever so slightly. "I am no prince, Miss Akira."

"If you are no prince, then I am no scientist. You certainly have the charms of one."

"Prince and Heir can be interchangeable, as can scientist and alchemist. One is more specific, yet...they both work."

He stares at her unabashedly for a moment before speaking. "Gods, you are so much smarter than me. You deserve way more credit and prestige than you've ever gotten. Hell, all the Court should have been paying you a hefty stipend for your work in the lab; for the faebane antidote. It is a precious commodity that would never have existed without your mind, Nuan."

"I don't do this kind of work for the money or for the prestige. I do it because it helps those in need. It was simply an honor just to know that I had a hand in saving Prythian's people as best as I could. I am very rusty at hand-to-hand combat", she smirks, holding up her metal hand as a pun. "Last time was not my luckiest day. "But it makes me happy that I can help behind the scenes and on the front lines. Even though technically myself and the 'weaker' of us are in the back lines", she chuckles.

"You never told me how you lost your hand", he whispers.

"Don't look so scared", she laughs. "I'm over it now, Eris."

"But...if you want the story, I'll tell you." She grabs his hands and leads him inside, sitting on the edge of his bed. "It was a small battle with Amarantha's...monster pack. About...thirty years ago now. They tried to take out our infirmaries and labs so we wouldn't create anything to use against them. I, along with everyone else who were hard at work that day fought them. Some of us were better at physical fighting than others. I was more trained with a sword than hand-to-hand. Anyway, one of her monsters had talons and went right after me. Those things were black as the pits of hell and sharper than swords. My hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and one of those talons took it clean off with one swipe. Sliced through the bone like butter. I'd never bled so much. Honestly, I thought I would be joining my parents, but they had fought so hard to get me away from Xian that I couldn't give up. They gave their lives to give me a chance at a better one. I wasn't going to keel over and submit to death's clutches. Even with one hand. My friends all fell, one by one. By then I was on the ground. I had to pretend I was dead, or I would have been disemboweled like them. Then Vihan and his Peregryn legion showed up. They were horrified and looked guilty that they were too late, but they slaughtered all of those monsters. Gods, there was so much blood. When it was all over, I used what was left of my strength to make a noise so he would see that I was alive. I still remember the utter shock in his gaze as he looked from me to my severed hand before grabbing me and flying me to the palace. I was on death's door, but I refused to knock."