Lost and Found Loves

Nesta shifts, the softness of the sheets gliding across her legs and the warmth of the sun pooling in from the window as she shields her eyes slightly. She turns toward Cassian in bed and sees that he is already awake, arms crossed behind his head, staring at the ceiling with an indiscernibly neutral look on his face. Not the Cassian she is so used to each morning.

"Cass?", she murmurs.

"Hm?", he hums, still distracted.

She lies her head on his firm, broad chest and places her hand on his abs. "Something on your mind?"

A loud sigh is heard in answer and he begins to stroke her golden brown hair absently. "It's not important."

"It looked important. Especially if it changes your whole mood."

"It's December twelfth."

"Yes...and what significance does that have to you?"

He swallows a lump in his throat then sits up, Nesta doing so as well.

"Cassian, I know I am not the softest soul, but if you need to talk, I'm here. I am your wife and your mate."

"I know that. It's just none of your concern, okay?"

Nests huffs. "Fine, whatever. I'm going to shower." Slipping from the covers, she makes her way over to their bathroom, tossing a forlorn look over her shoulder at him. He's already too distracted again to notice.

As she slips into the bathroom, Cassian watches as the door closes and then rubs his face. He gets up and goes into the kitchen, stretching his wings with a groan.

'Such an old male', a teasing voice flitters through his memory, causing him to sigh and shake it away.

He flexes his tense muscles and rolls his neck again as he asks the house to put breakfast out on the table. It eagerly obliges and he slinks into a chair, more memories coming to his mind.

{Cassian grips her waist as he kisses her with passion, not wanting to relent. She giggles against his lips and strokes his cheek. "Later, you hulking brute."

"This is dangerous. I—I would never assume to tell you what to do or what not to do. I know that your legion is just as strong and bale as mine, and you are a necessary part of it. The most important part of it. We are both leaders. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I worry, Tanwyn."

Tanwyn leans up and kisses him again, her hands stroking the bulk of his shoulders and down his biceps. "I'm flattered that you worry, darling. But you know that I can take care of myself. I am not the leader of the Valkyries for no reason. I've trained rigorously and I have all the strength I need."

"That does not save everyone. We are both warriors. We have seen some of our own fight and die; soldiers and valkyries who were equally matched to us. Hybern, and all those who are vile enough to create this disaster...they don't care who they hurt."

"You can't seriously be asking me to stand down, Cass."

"No, I—I'd never do that because I know you never would, like me."

Her golden breastplate shines in the sun and the cream skirt that lies above her leathers flutters in the soft breeze. "We were made for this, Cassian. Both of us. I want you to be careful too. We are all at risk. But war is a risk to all. Every single soldier and Valkyrie out there today has someone or something to lose. Every single one. We are no different for being the leaders of our legions." Her warm bronze skin seems to glow in the brightness of the day, matching the gleam of her sword. "Plus, I have Muinín here to keep me company", she grins.