Words of Hope and Truth

Gwyn raises herself onto her tiptoes and takes a short breath before pressing her lips to Azriel's, her smaller hands still cradling his face. Their eyes both drift closed as he kisses her back, softly and tenderly, his hands coming to rest ever so lightly on her sides. His body is slightly rigid, afraid that if he makes the wrong move, she could break.

She parts from him only an inch and looks into his blazing hazel eyes. "I'm not going to break, Az. I know I am safe with you. I am not afraid. What I'm afraid of is you treating me like I'm glass. You know better than that. I am a Carynthian, your equal. I will not break from a kind touch, and you know that if there is something I don't like, I'd be very open about it."

Azriel brushes his nose against hers, breathing out softly. "I know that in my mind. I do. You know that. But my heart...the memories...not to mention the mate bond, wanting to protect you, even from myself—"

She lurches closer and wraps her arms around his middle tightly, laying her head on his chest the way she had when they had flown into the city. "There is a dynamic we will have to work on. But you need to trust that I am smart enough to make my own decisions and that I am capable. Of anything."

"Azriel presses a kiss to her forehead and nods. "I'm sorry. I'll have to work on not being...smothery."

Gwyn giggles and looks up at him, her bright teal eyes shining. "I wouldn't call it smothery. Just a bit overprotective. You're my mate, Azriel", she says softly, a smile spreading across her face. "My mate", she murmurs. "And if there is anyone I don't need protection from, it's you. So you can stop acting like you're a monster and I'm some...some...poor victim caught in your clutches. You're not a monster, and I am not a victim. We are equals."

He lets out a breath and loosens his guard, wrapping his arms around her as well, and pressing his nose against her pink cheek. "Forgive me. Many of the issues stem from how I see myself, and I never meant to project them onto you. I never want to do that or make you feel like any less than me. Ever."

She grins and runs her fingers through his hair like a puppy. "It's fairly difficult to stay mad at you when you look so cute and broody."

Azriel's cheeks pinken and she looks at him, smiling. "That's the second time you've referenced the word 'cute' and me in the same sentence.

"Well, it's true."

"Is not. I am a strong, deadly, torturous Illyrian warrior who can—mmph."

Gwyn kisses him fervently and intently, stroking her hands through his now shaggy hair.

He gasps a bit but kisses her back the same way, keeping his arms wrapped firmly around her, lifting her off her feet a few inches.

A few moments fly by, and they part for air, Gwyn giggling lightly. "A strong, deadly, Illyrian warrior who can sweep me off my feet? In the literal sense as well as metaphorical? I'm sure that's what you were going to say", she winks, amusement dancing in her expression.

He chuckles deeply, happiness on his face as he brings his fingers up to stroke her cheek. "Can I say something freely?"

"Always, Az. Always with me."

"I love your freckles. I've always loved your freckles. I love the way they paint your porcelain skin like stars in the night sky, and I love how they dance upon your face when you're joyed."

"I love your shadows. I've always loved your shadows. I love the way they dance around us and how they can calm your inner thoughts. How they whisper and sing and act as an extension of your heart."

Az pecks her lips softly and sensually before grinning brightly and genuinely. "You're a very special female, Gwyneth Berdara. And I am the luckiest male in all of Prythian. I mean that."