A Wave of Candor

The Winter Court Ball is in full swing. Music is playing, fae are swaying and dancing, and everyone is talking amongst one another when Jurian arrives with Vassa on his arm. One of the Winter Court sentries was kind enough to winnow them into the Castle.

Vassa grins and glances up at him. "I forgot how much fun parties can be. And you know, it's a good feeling knowing that there are many ways in which humans and the Fae are similar. Both can appreciate grandeur and celebration. Don't you think?"

Jurian scoffs under his breath but gazes down at her with a happy glimmer in his eye. "Whatever you say, Queen."

Rolling her eyes, she squeezes his arm. "By the way, you are looking very handsome in that suit."

A slight blush appears on his cheeks and she smirks.

"I hardly compare to you, Vassa. You look stunning."

Vassa smiles appreciatively, her royal blue dress sparkling with every sway of her hips, a glorious contrast to her tanned skin and scarlet hair. "Thank you."

Viviane smiles as she sees them enter the ballroom, moving over to them. "Jurian, Vassa. I'm honored that you could make it."

Vassa hugs her politely. "We are thrilled for you, Viviane. A title highly deserved."

Jurian nods in agreement. "Yes. Congratulations."

"Well thank you both. Kallias is a great husband and mate. The celebration was his idea, though I can't say I wasn't thrilled for a party", she chuckles. "I really am glad you came. Unlike some of the High Lords, I never liked that humans and fae were so separated. Some separation is good, of course. But there is no reason we can't get along and be friends. And with the next looming war...", she casts a pitied glance at Vassa. "Well, I hope that can be handled quickly and that you get your happy ending, free from your curse. I know the heaviness that comes along with terrible circumstances you can't control. So I wish you all the best."

"I knew I liked you", Vassa chuckles and hugs her softly again. "I just want my life back, I admit. But Jurian and I will do whatever we can to get rid of the threat. If anything, Prythian is resilient. As a Queen, I always knew there would be a possibility of laying down my life for the common good. I still know that it's a possibility that I won't make it. Especially if Koschei changed the script and changed the curse. He's capable of more than anyone thinks. I don't like to imagine my life being tethered to his, but he may just turn those tables if he's desperate enough. If so...I would willingly die for my friends."

She notices Jurian visibly flinch at her words. "There is a reason the other Queen betrayed me. They called me a fae apologist, they gave me up to him. The only one who agreed with me was my dear friend Demetra. She knew—I don't know how, but she knew that you were not evil. And we all know what they did to her, and I'll never forgive them for it. But those other Queens, they don't know that you're individuals too. Not inherently good or evil. You are what you choose to be, and everyone is not the same."

Viviane sighs softly and nods. "I'm so sorry about your friend."

"That means a lot." Vassa sighs shakily. "We should be celebrating, not getting depressing", she chuckles.

Jurian takes her hand carefully. "Would you like to dance?"

"I would love to, General", she smiles.

Viviane smirks. "I'll let you two have fun. Thanks again for coming."

"Of course."

Jurian sweeps her onto the dance floor and pulls her close as they sway to the music. Vassa lies her head lightly upon his chest. "You flinched."